Please support Gordon McDowell's new project!

Gordon McDowell has been an indefatigable force in spreading the message of thorium and LFTR worldwide. Now he has a much greater and more ambitious plan, and he needs our help to make it happen. He needs to raise $20K to make a new video, and he’s using “Kickstarter” to do it.

KICKSTARTER: A Documentary project by Gordon McDowell

Here’s how Kickstarter works:

1. You “pledge” an amount. (No money changes hands.)
2. If enough pledges come in in the specified timeframe, then all pledges are collected. (Pledges become donations.)
3. Gord gets a check. (A new thorium documentary is produced.)

So far, nearly two-thirds of the money Gordon needs has been pledged. But he needs more. If 180 people pledged $50 then he would have enough.

Please consider supporting this. I often get emails from people asking “how can I help?” or “I don’t have a lot of money but I’d like to do something…”

I can’t offer equity in Flibe Energy because we are a privately-held company and the SEC says no-no except under certain circumstances. But if you want to help the thorium effort move forward then funding Gordon’s effort is a great thing that you can do. Because the thing we need more than anything else is to get the word out, and video is the BEST way to get a story across to lots of people. I’d love for people to decide they’re going to study “Fluid Fuel Reactors” but let’s be honest, only hard-core nuclear geeks like me do things like that. But lots of people will watch a video. And they’ll learn quickly. And then they might want to read FFR…

I just love Gordon’s appeal for funding in this short video–

Gordon is right–he is a proven resource to getting the thorium message out. He has had a vision that took me a while to see–but the results were magnificent. Just scanning up and down this blog you see the marvelous results of Gordon’s hard work.

Thorium Remix 2011
TEDxYYC: Kirk Sorensen
TEAC3 Flibe, TEAC3 Bonometti, TEAC3 Hargraves
Google TechTalk Dec 2011

Comments

comments

16 Replies to "Please support Gordon McDowell's new project!"

• Gordon McDowell
    February 20, 2012 (3:18 pm)

Kirk thanks very much for blogging about this. I've found the YouTube traffic (about 1000 views/day) on TR2011 is NOT easily converted into traffic beyond YouTube. Mobile devices and embeds don't show YouTube annotations or YouTube description (unless viewer clicks around in unnatural ways).

And if anyone's capable of reading/writing more than just English, there's still work that can be done on TR2011 to make it more accessible to a wider audience… cleaning up the non-English captions.

Currently ONLY English is correct from start to finish. ALL other languages are at least partially Machine Translated.

Recently Rainer has starter working on German, and Takashi started on Japanese. So that the VERY START is correct, and quality quickly goes back to Machine Translation.

But the START is the most important. If anyone else wants to clean up the first 5 minutes in ANY language, ping me ( gordonmcdowell [at] gmail [dot] com ) or comment here. I'll send you the English CC and MT CC for your language.

You can clean up ANY portion, email it back to me and I'll IMMEDIATELY upload it to YouTube. Can be first 1 minute even… and just keep sending me updates as you work along, I'll keep updating YouTube. If you stop working, no problem. You still improved the translation from the beginning to as far as you could. Someone else might want to help, they can pick up from where you left off.

Just another way people can help that involve specific skills (and time) rather than money.

• George McHugh
    February 20, 2012 (5:32 pm)

I have been an advocate of Th nuclear power since my nuclear engineer days in the 1970s. Thank you for bringing attention to this technology.

The state of Utah is in the process of approving a new nuclear reactor. Please help me reach the Governor and others to see if they would be interested in Thorium. If Utah would embrace this technology for this active project it would bring much needed publicity to the technology and its advantages. You may want to start with the governor's economic development office and USTAR.

Thank you.

• Kirk Sorensen
    February 20, 2012 (5:50 pm)

Hi George, as someone born and raised in Utah nothing would please me more. But I've lived outside of the state since 1998 and am not up to speed on the latest developments. Any help would be appreciated.

• Peter Heller
    February 21, 2012 (5:28 pm)

Inspired by your blog and by the work of Gordon McDowell I started promoting the Lifter in Germany several months ago. I have written a piece on the technology for a small but influential German magazine called "Novo Argumente" (only in German: http://www.novo-argumente.com/magazin.php/novo_no….

Maybe you and your readers are interested in an attempt of the German government to get proposals for future activities from the citizens. It is called "Future Dialogue". I have made an entry for the Lifter there:

(Again only in German and only for German citizens)

I am very surprised that I got more than 1.300 votes so far. This places the idea in the top 60 of more than 6.500.

Obviously more people in Germany know about the technology than I expected. I assume this a result of your work.

You are international visible and a German translation of future videos would be helpful.

• Simon
    February 21, 2012 (9:27 pm)

Hi Gordon

Just donated, good luck with the project! Just a little request though – could you say the correct "Nuclear" (Nuke-lea-ar) rather than "Nuc-u-lar"? It drives me nuts whenever I hear it, and you'll be torn apart by nuclear engineers.

Great effort though otherwise, and I hope you get the full funding amount.

• Daniel Firth
    February 22, 2012 (11:36 am)

Kirk, I sent you one of those "How can I help?" emails a few months ago. As you suspected, I was looking for a way to directly support Flibe Energy.

However, Thorium Remix 2011 is the reason I became aware of the Thorium movement. I'll make a pledge to Gordon's project, the word needs to get out and I believe his videos are a great way to do that.

• Adrian Rebrean
    February 22, 2012 (3:26 pm)

Long time lurker here. I'm convinced that the effort by Gordon will pay dividends in the market of public opinion and I am glad to be able to help.

• Vincent
    February 23, 2012 (10:36 am)

Hey guys, I want to help the movement as best I can. But even with the highest donation I can afford I'll still feel like Im not helping enough. Im a musician/producer and I'm wondering if you have someone in mind reguarding the soundtrack for the documentary.

• Dominic
    February 23, 2012 (12:11 pm)

I can work on the french captions, if any ?

• Benjamin Serrano
    February 24, 2012 (9:13 am)

Gordon, I can translate any text into Spanish if needed. When do we take off?

• Gordon McDowell
    February 24, 2012 (11:07 am)

Sorry with tardy replies… no email alert when additional comment posted, and I forgot to check back regularly.

SIMON, I'll try get in the correct habit. I honestly thought there was no one correct way to pronounce it, and never thought as to how I was pronouncing it. Probably a joke we can work in there (be corrected on my pronunciation by clearly frustrated engineer).

VINCENT, there are people interested in helping with music, including Eric Meyer who helped with TR2011 (he assumes he'll have more time). I think the most efficient use of musician's time is that of sharing their catalog with me, so I can hopefully leverage already created works instead of asking for custom creations… I mean I don't look forward to being in a position of saying "Hey you did all this work just for me but I'm not gonna use it for whatever reason." So if you have a SoundCloud or some such stash I'd be happy to add it to my playlist through 2012 to help brainstorm. (Opening credits is the one part where music will likely be custom. I'm hoping for an electronica score, in future I'll post to KS a playlist of songs that WOULD HAVE worked for TR2011 if I could have afforded them, and maybe you'll look at the list and say "I love that stuff I can make music that would fit that list."

DOMINIC thanks for emailing me to I'll follow up via email.

BENJAMIN SERRANO can you email me at gordonmcdowell [at] gmail [dot] com if you haven't already?

Thanks (again) everyone for your support. It really is great to be focusing on things other than fundraising… you all are pretty much turning it into a non-issue.

And it is great people are coming forward to help with caption translations… I looked at spending $ on it, and it is just EXPENSIVE. There's no telling at this point how I'll tackle TR2012 captions and foreign languages, but I've certainly learned a lot from TR2011 on that point (releasing a 2h on YouTube and 2h23m version on DVD has big negative impact on fully leveraging CC volunteer work), and will apply it to TR2012. But it is still surely a very good thing we're updating TR2011 captions.

• Jill Goudriaan
    February 24, 2012 (12:40 pm)

Please accept my pledge of $25.00 on behalf of my daughter's boyfriend, Toronto film editor Richard Mandin, as part of his birthday(Feb 28)present. I'm thinking that following your progress as you develop your video will be interesting & fun for him.
    Because we don't use internet for money transactions, as soon as your target is met I'll send you a money order from my bank (In case you've never encountered one, a money order is where my bank takes money out of my account and makes it into a cheque-like document your bank will give you the bucks for. Unlike a cheque, a money order can't bounce.Okay? I'll include Richard's email in the envelope.

Loved your pitch. Support Thorium cause on Twitter as lightco2
    Jill

• Eliza
    February 26, 2012 (4:38 pm)

Thanks for the post, I just saw this on the facebook page a few days ago and am pledging to support the cause.

Great video, I was going to make a note about the pronunciation but Simon beat me too it. Can't wait to see the film! Keep us updated on the production, and let us know when and how it will be distributed so we can all see it.

• Alex VanderWoude
    February 28, 2012 (12:46 am)

Sounds like a terrific project, one I'm happy to help.

One word of advice: knock it off with the political jokes. I mean, the Koch brothers as Greedo? Really? Please try to avoid alienating potential supporters and contributors.

• Felipe
    March 14, 2012 (9:29 pm)

A new thorium documentary is produced, so Lets spread the word ((( THORIUM))))

• Marquess
    June 19, 2012 (5:41 pm)

Just wondering when the new Thorium video will be out..?

Lokking forward to seeing the update.

Please update me – Where in the Netherlands, let us know if we can assist.

Regards,