Interview with Driving Force Radio

Baroness Worthington and I were interviewed by Jan Mazotti and Kelly de la Torre of Driving Force Radio and ICOSA Magazine during the Baroness’s visit to Huntsville, Alabama, on Tuesday, June 5, 2012.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jan and Kelly at the Global New Energy Summit in Colorado Springs in March, where we had a short interview. Jan and Kelly are a real pleasure to talk to and they came to Huntsville specially to meet the Baroness.

Comments

comments

9 Replies to "Interview with Driving Force Radio"

• Roy Harvie
    June 20, 2012 (11:25 am)

Great interview. Naturally there is the requirement to cover all the basics we here at energyfromthorium already know, and I listen for tidbits to see if there is real movement forward. No real details, but generalities as stated by Baroness Worthington that there is a growing awareness and momentum politically in the UK promoting LFTRs and Kirk states there is ongoing talks with the US military. Naturally I would like to hear about definite positive steps, but at least they didn't say talks had stalled.

• Roy Harvie
    June 20, 2012 (11:32 am)

One of the things that really bugs me is that I have never heard that Steven Chu has publicly recognized that there is such a process as an LFTR. If leaders like him would at least discuss it I would feel a lot better. Present policy seems to be to pretend it doesn't exist. If he doesn't like LFTRs, then I would like him to explain why.

• John
    June 20, 2012 (2:03 pm)

What this interview is missing is an antagonist or two — and a more professional setting.

• JerryFSD
    June 20, 2012 (6:26 pm)

Roy; I doubt that Steven Chiu understands it and, therefore, will probably not investigate it

• ROBERTM
    June 21, 2012 (11:05 pm)

ONLY WHEN CHINA DOES THORIUM WILL AMERICA DO THORIUM.

And then america will only buy chinese built micro thorium reactors.

• cthorm
    June 22, 2012 (4:09 pm)

Roy & Jerry –

Steven Chu is at least aware of the Thorium cycle, but he frustratingly dismisses it as a potential target for ARPA-E because it's not "quick hit" or "so innovated that other funding sources would be interested."

• Jagdish
    June 25, 2012 (3:22 am)

At least the UK has reactor grade plutonium to dispose off. It could be used as a CERMET fuel with metallic thorium. You could call it an improvement on the MOX with high burn up. http://www.dae.nic.in/writereaddata/.pdf_38
    It may not be a breeder (Which the UK do not want) but it could be a potential source of U233 later on.

• Michael
    June 25, 2012 (8:27 am)

The interview was a bit funny because Kirk and Baroness both fudged the difference between transuraniac elements generation due to neutron absorption and fission products and left out any reference to Thorium becoming U-233. A bit of dumbing down exercise.

• hebintn
    July 13, 2012 (8:02 pm)

So many times in business it is prudent to let your competitors take the expensive first steps on new products, then jump into the market with both feet. If the UK, China, even the military and others prove the concept then hopefully the rest of the US will pull its head out of the sand and get involved. I don't like this approach, but I suspect that is the path the US will take.