Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Apr 24, 2018 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2008 7:18 am 

Russia will be building 4 nuclear reactors (of LWR type) in India. There is also some co-operation expected in space research.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7766789.stm
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India_Russia_sign_nuclear_and_space_deals/articleshow/3797002.cms

This agreement will silence the Indian critics of the US-India nuclear deal, who were complaining that India was moving too close to comfort in the US camp.

There is no talk about possible co-operation between India and Russia in breeder reactors. Russia has some good experience in that regard, it will be nice to have a collaboration effort.

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2008 6:27 am 

I, for one was always convinced that the main benefit the Indians sought was the clearance of channel for import of uranium from any country via the NSG waiver. The next step shall be clearance for reprocessing spent imported fuel for power production, preferably via fast reactors and thorium fuel under IAEA supervision. At present these activities are being undertaken only with indigenous reactors and fuel, very limited in quantity. There is some spent fuel from Tarapore BWRs in storage, under IAEA safeguard. I hope the new President and Energy Secretary do that much for India. I feel Indians shall be willing to take on a joint demonstration of a pilot LFTR in India in return. A fast MSR using U238 and Pu239 shall be even better but anti-proliferationists might object too strongly. Either might be good for nuclear renaissance in the US of A.

Last edited by jagdish on Dec 06, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2008 9:27 am 

Wouldn't it be faster for the Indians to demonstrate a reactor or be in a coalition with others countries to test a LFTR in the USA then doing it their own country first.

Seems this is a political question.

I would think the world regulating bodies must understand the technology first before they will allow others to build them.

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2008 10:54 am 

Perhaps neither the US (national regulating bodies being too cautious to do anything new) nor India (too much international sensitivy regarding proliferation) are the best places. Rather perhaps France, or South Korea.

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2008 11:31 pm 

US regulations are likely to delay matters too long, maybe indefinitely. I had the early development trials of liquid fuels for good of the world at heart. Give it to people most motivated.