Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Jul 23, 2018 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 1:44 pm 

I almost fell off my chair when I read that India gave clearance to a ten GIGAWATTS nuclear power park (6 European Pressurized Reactors). :shock:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/jaita ... ance-69147

That's some serious shoot*. A good price, too - under EUR 2 per Watt electric. And fewer Luddite groups around to delay & cost overrun the park.

There's a strange reference to the area being 'ecologically sensitive'. Sure, but a power density of 1100 Watts/square meter is really nice then, isn't it? 3x3 kilometers is quite a limited area in absolute terms as well. Of course we should not forget journalist isn't a profession (you don't need any diplomas whatsoever) which goes a good way in explaining the communications, or non-cummunications, on putting nuclear power in perspective.

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 1:47 pm 

Hehehe, I wrote something different there than 'shoot', it appears Kirk put on the language filter :lol:

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2011 5:39 pm 

I particularly liked their quote from the Indian environment minister.
Jairam Ramesh wrote:
Environmentalists are against coal as it causes global warming, against hydro as it submerges and against nuclear as well. India has a population of 1.2 billion. It is the height of foolish romance that India can meet its energy needs from solar and bioenergy,
Netherlands has about the same population density as India, UK and Germany are about 2/3 that, US about 1/10th, but all with far higher energy usage - for now.

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 12:30 pm 

There is such an acute power shortage in India that wishfulness is the guiding principle in planning. Let us hope some of the projects materialize.
France and Russia are the important suppliers of nuclear fuel. They naturally get priority over US-Japan firms for reactors on that strength. They also go for reprocessing and do not try to hinder India doing the same.
Construction costs are lower in India and China. The local components and construction lower the costs. I agree that cost overruns are quite possible.

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 2:03 pm 

jagdish wrote:
France and Russia are the important suppliers of nuclear fuel. They naturally get priority over US-Japan firms for reactors on that strength.

France closed its last little uranium mine several years ago: all their uranium is imported from overseas... mostly Africa and Canada.
I don't see anything "natural" about France getting "priority over US-Japan firms for reactors on that strength".
Please explain.

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 4:38 pm 

Areva is a French government owned or controlled company therefore the owners take care of their own interests first. no matter where the ore comes form.

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 5:12 pm 

Ida-Russkie wrote:
Areva is a French government owned or controlled company therefore the owners take care of their own interests first. no matter where the ore comes form.

Private companies also take care of their own first - the private shareholders.

I'm not bothered anymore by the government versus private sector building nuclear plants discussion. I'll take either, but I suspect India will need both. They're not proposing 10 GWe reactor parks because there's little demand for electricity :mrgreen:

I wonder how many plants can be built if all the big nuclear players go full steam on construction capabilities. Probably not near fast enough to replace even all new coal plants to be built, especially in Asia.

Now, I would like to order 3 EPRs, 3 ABWRs, 4 AP-1000s and 4 ACR-1000s, a couple of Kerenas, APWRs and ESBWRs if available, throw in a VVER on the fly and an APR1400 for good measure, 8 million plugin hybrid battery packs and 10 million heat pumps to power my country. Forget the fancy gift wrap paper.

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 8:13 am 

jaro wrote:
jagdish wrote:
France and Russia are the important suppliers of nuclear fuel. They naturally get priority over US-Japan firms for reactors on that strength.

France closed its last little uranium mine several years ago: all their uranium is imported from overseas... mostly Africa and Canada.
I don't see anything "natural" about France getting "priority over US-Japan firms for reactors on that strength".
Please explain.

As things stand, the French firms are nuclear fuel suppliers to other countries including India. US, on the other is a big importer of uranium, as it is of oil.
Russians produce more than their own requirement. They also buy from Kazakhstan and other countries and covert it to value added fuel and sell it.

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2011 12:10 am 

I design high security electric power meters for a living. My colleagues in India tell me that power meter tampering is a common profession there, and that the cheating is so common that power plants lack revenue to remain on, and have to close down for many hours each day.

If this is true, 10 GW nuclear parks may not help India generate more power. Several natural gas plants have been built, and closed down for lack of payment to keep them open.

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2011 12:37 am 

NPCIL seem to be doing alright. They will build and operate this one too.