Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2010 9:22 am 

International Conference on Future of Heavy Water Reactors (HWR-Future)
DATE: Oct 2 - Oct 5 2011
Ottawa Marriott Hotel

Quote:
To ensure that nuclear energy can contribute its full potential, reactor and related nuclear technologies, in particular nuclear fuel cycles, must continue to evolve. Heavy Water Reactor (HWR) technology is uniquely suited to respond to the future needs because of its inherent technical characteristics and associated fuel cycle flexibility.

Would anyone be interested in collaborating on a paper about HW-MSR and associated fuel cycle possibilities ?

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2010 9:55 am 

I am afraid I do not have the expertise of nuclear, only a basic understanding of science and engineering. However after understanding the idea of a cool moderator, I would like to add a hot and less volatile coolant to reduce the pressure in tubes from over 100 atmospheres to 5. An Al-Mg eutectic would best fill the bill. The fuel can be solid or liquid, uranium or thorium with right fissile component. AHWR is a only half measure in economy as the coolant is still volatile and runs in high pressure tubes.

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 7:59 pm 

I'm happy to help, but not sure how.

Self-referential - see circular logic

imbibo ergo fnord

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2011 9:39 am 

Quote:
The CNS is organizing a Conference on the Future of Heavy-Water Reactors, to be held in Ottawa 2011 October 2-5.
We hope that you can participate. Consider submitting a paper.
The Call for Papers is attached.

Attachments:
HWR-Future_CFP.pdf [86.7 KiB]
Downloaded 397 times

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 12:37 am 

I'm always willing to contribute to the paper. Nevertheless, could you be more specific what you would like to cover?

I must also state that at the moment I don't have (official) access to neutronic or depletion modules if you want to discuss the specific fuel cycle characteristics. Furthermore, I must first receive permission of my university if I want to contribute...

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 3:27 am 

I do have in my mind two possible improvements to present natural uranium fueled PHWR.
1. Change the coolant to a Mg(65%)-Al(35%) eutectic. It has a melting point<450C. A working temperature of 600C will increase thermal efficiency from 30% to 40%.
2. For fuel use 9mm thorium casing with a 4mm inner space filled with 20% LEU. It will give a net fissile percentage of just over 3% and a fuel with a burn up of 8-10 times that of the natural UO2. No additional casing will be required. Energy from a kg of mined uranium will increase due to contribution of U233 created and burnt in situ.
There will be a net reduction of capital cost due to lower cost coolant and higher thermal efficiency. Running cast will reduce due to higher burn up and higher in reactor life

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2011 6:53 am 

STG wrote:
I'm always willing to contribute to the paper. Nevertheless, could you be more specific what you would like to cover?

I suspect that the submitted papers will all be the usual mix of research on slightly modified solid fuel HW reactors: There doesn't seem to be any interest in radically different concepts.
The main purpose is to keep neutronics code operators well practiced, with slight variations on the standard fuel loading scheme, and thicker pressure tubes for increased pressure.
Pretty sclerotic if you ask me, but may be interesting to those who do this for a living....