Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Oct 21, 2018 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 5:11 am 

Bruce Nuclear Generating Station, the largest nuclear power park in North America, and second largest in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Nucl ... ng_Station

What seems odd is the differerence between full station gross and full station net output - a GIGAWATT !!! How are they getting those parasitic losses? I don't see any warp drive mechanism on the site.

Maybe its time for an efficiency upgrade/uprate?

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 9:52 pm 

Moderator cooling and pumps? Just guessing.

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 3:42 am 

A gigawatt worth of pumps?? What, they want to drain the Atlantic? Well if they do have large pumping losses maybe that's one of the reasons the Indians are going for boiling water drive in their AHWR, to reduce pumping power.

These high parasitics sound like a good place to look for refurbishments. There must be some serious money to be made from upgrades in pumps. The article mentions some units are currently off-line. Are they doing uprates on those units?

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 8:23 am 

I think the pumping power for a PWR is about 5% of gross MWe, and I dont see why it should be significantly more for a CANDU.

However CANDU's HW moderator is heated not only though the channels but also by neutrons and gammas. I suspect the moderator cooling accounts for most of the power consumption of the plant.

Perhaps some CANDU expert can comment?

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 9:07 am 

I suspect there's something fishy about the Wiki numbers.... will check..... stay tuned.

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 9:11 am 

The article's figures say about 14 percent losses. Three times the LWR estimate. 9% parasitic for the moderator system? Maybe its more in the pressure tube arrangement, that requires more pumping power. It still seems awfully high.

What do they do with the moderator heat? Do they use it as feedwater preheater or just dump it in the environment? Jaro?

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 9:57 am 

Cyril R wrote:
The article's figures say about 14 percent losses. Three times the LWR estimate.

My CANDU handbook says Bruce B gross/net power is 915/860 MWe (for Bruce A its 904/840).
That's a 6% in-house power use.
The PHT pumps on each reactor are rated 8.2 MW each -- 32.8 MW for the four of them. That accounts for 60% of in-house power use. Most of the rest will be used by the SG feedwater pumps and condenser cooling water pumps.

For detailed information, you may want to have a look at CANTEACH - “An extensive public domain repository of CANDU technical documents”

.....which can be accessed through the Nuclear Canada wiki site