Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Oct 19, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 9:31 am 

Hi. New poster here. Been lurking here about a week. Been involved with the nuclear community for about 3 years now.

My name is AAron Hinman. I'm a member of the Canadian Nuclear Society -Alberta Chapter.

I'm not trained as a scientist or engineer, just an enthusiastic layperson. But I have done volunteer work "down in the trenches" on behalf of the CNS. I've manned the CNS booth at the Alberta Teachers Association Science Council Conference three years running and have toured local high schools while accompanying Dr. Jeremy Whitlock of Chalk River Laboratories.

I've read a lot about nuclear over the last three years during my involvement with the CNS. I'm not married to any one technology, be it LFTR or otherwise. But I believe quite strongly that energy will be the defining issue of the 21st century and that all roads will ultimately lead to nuclear energy.

I look forward to participating here as best I can (some of you will lose me quite quickly when the heavy math and woolly terminology starts flying) but know that you have my support.

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 6:46 pm 

AAron H. wrote:
Any Other CNS Members Here?

Yes, of course !

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 8:01 pm 

Any chance we've met?

I was at CNS 2009 in Calgary and 2010 in Montreal.

I regrettably had to skip this years conference in but will be in Saskatoon for 2012.

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 9:13 pm 

No. Sorry, I have never been to a CNS conference, even though I've been a member for nearly 15 years now.
I have been active in developing the web site of the Quebec branch of the CNS and, more recently, a facebook page for supporters of the Gentilly-2 refurb project:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nous-appuyons-la-r%C3%A9fection-de-la-centrale-nucl%C3%A9aire-Gentilly-2/108833445800977

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 11:21 pm 

Hehe, I got a funny story about Gentilly.

I've lived in Alberta almost all my life and two things I had never really seen before were a "real" nuclear reactor (I've visited the SLOWPOKE at the UofA here in Edmonton, got to look through a tiny window and not see much of anything) or a "real" Catholic church. Our hotel in Montreal for the 2010 conference was across the street from Marie La Reign Du le Monde and the church I go to on sundays would fit into one of the side wings of that building (I'm not Catholic, BTW). The cathedrals in Quebec are just HUUUUGE.

So after the conference, my Dad and I where there were met by our family who had just flown and and among other things, we decided we should visit a real nuclear reactor while we had the chance.

So we had turned off the main highway in our rental, just barely got onto the Gentilly access road when... BOOM! Plant security were on top of us from out of nowhere, like they were driving klingon SUVs. They pulled us over, came up along side and started yelling at my brother who was behind the wheel. And right in the middle of this I leaned over and said to my brother:

Tell him we're from Alberta and we thought the containment dome was a catholic church. He'll believe you! :lol:

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2011 1:11 pm 

Yeah.... I heard about this story from Jeremy. Pretty sad. Sorry you had such a poor experience at G-2.

Its also unfortunate that they closed down their visitors center - which is near the end of the access road where the security goons stopped you.

Jeremy wrote an editorial about it in the June 2010 issue of the Canadian Nuclear Society Bulletin.

http://www.nuclearfaq.ca/perception.htm

He didn't name G-2, but said this:
Quote:
Our storefront needs work: we claim to have nothing to hide, but close our visitor centres and post armed guards at the gate.
http://www.nuclearfaq.ca/perception_web.gif

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2011 7:37 pm 

Jeremy is a great guy. He told me after our high school tour, that I had a talent for reaching out to young people. I told him it's because I'm a slacker and I speak fluent video game. ;)

And I didn't have a poor experience at G-2. I had a non-experience. We tried to get in, but couldn't and we left safely. No big deal.

I got nothing against the security "goons". They're fighting a daily battle in a world where terrorists are putting bombs in their shoes and underwear. A medical doctor and commissioned US military officer, a man of science, education and discipline, gunned down 13 of his fellow servicemen while shouting "God is great!". Terrorists in Iraq took a mentally handicapped child, wrapped him in explosives and told him American soldiers were handing out candy. They also raped Iraqi women and told them God would forgive them for being sluts if they blew themselves up.

That's what the security guards are fighting and they have to win 100 times out of 100 while the bad guys only have to win once.

Public relations is important, but it would only take one pair of exploding panties that probably wouldn't even scratch the containment dome to create a PR nightmare that would make Fukushima look like a bad hair day.

You can tell your security people that my family and I have no hard feelings and we appreciate and respect them for the job they have to do.

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2011 8:34 pm 

I definitely agree with what you say....

....its just that the layout of the G-2 site, which I worked at for a while and visited several other times, is such that it can easily accommodate BOTH security AND the public, as Jeremy suggests.

The old visitors' center is outside and well away from the primary secure zone -- which is surrounded by six rows of high fences, topped with razor wires: You won't find something like that at even the highest security federal prison, for gawd's sake ! (....does Gitmo have six rows of fences ??)

I have also been to the visitors' center before it closed (back in 2001, I think) -- it was a very nice facility, with lots of full-size and scale model exhibits, all sorts of info handouts, etc., etc.
A real shame that it was closed, IMO !

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2012 12:18 am 

Not a CNS member (yet) but I live in Alberta. Kinda between cities right now. (Living in Spruce Grove, getting job interviews in Calgary, probably will end up in Ft.Mac for the summer.)

How do I Join CNS and are there meetings in this province?

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2012 3:09 am 

Eric_Robinson wrote:
How do I Join CNS and are there meetings in this province?

Please see contact info at http://www.cns-snc.ca/CNS/alberta