Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Sep 20, 2017 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LFTR research in China
PostPosted: Nov 30, 2011 4:58 am 

Is there anyone who knows which is university in China that is doing research on LFTR (and has enough budget to.. :lol: )? I have interest in LFTR and want to apply for my Phd in China if possible.

Thank u..

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2011 6:53 am 

imronuke wrote:
Is there anyone who knows which is university in China that is doing research on LFTR (and has enough budget to.. :lol: )? I have interest in LFTR and want to apply for my Phd in China if possible.

Thank u..

In France people are doing MSR research

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2011 2:05 am 

Thank u STG...

But I'm looking for in China. The Chinese really have commitment to build their future in nuclear energy. The have built HTR and SFR reactor type, and hopefully the will build MSR as well. I think after build prototypes of these reactors, they will examine which reactor is suitable to burn Uranium and Plutonium from their current LWRs that will increase and the next few years.In addition, if they choose MSR, they can also utilize Thorium cycle as alternative rather than Uranium.

If there any professors in China who are doing research on MSR read this email, please hire me... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2011 5:00 pm 

Here's a link to the Chinese Academy of Sciences press release announcing intent to develop LFTR alongside other major priorities
http://english.cas.cn/Ne/CASE/201102/t2 ... 4985.shtml

Cities named in the press release as hosts for tech parks to be built in support of these initiatives (Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong)

One of the top universities in China (located in Beijing, I believe), link to the nuclear research program:
http://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/publish/inet ... index.html

I remember seeing something somewhere online about Tsinghua participating with ORNL and a team from Texas A&M on nuclear related programs (I don't remember if both were at the same place same time or if they were two different events) either way IIRC events occurred not that long ago, perhaps you can find someone over at A&M or ORNL who can steer you a bit.

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2013 3:36 am 

imronuke wrote:
Thank u STG...

But I'm looking for in China. The Chinese really have commitment to build their future in nuclear energy. The have built HTR and SFR reactor type, and hopefully the will build MSR as well. I think after build prototypes of these reactors, they will examine which reactor is suitable to burn Uranium and Plutonium from their current LWRs that will increase and the next few years.In addition, if they choose MSR, they can also utilize Thorium cycle as alternative rather than Uranium.

If there any professors in China who are doing research on MSR read this email, please hire me... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2013 11:50 am 

The Weinberg foundation have recently done a study of thorium, which includes information of China's twin approach as they are building both a 2MW FHR and a 2MW TMSR:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2013/08/molten ... .html#more

Full report here:
http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/ ... dation.pdf

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2013 11:58 am 

From the report:

''In January 2011, the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)announced a 5-year government-funded $350 million research and development (R&D) programme into thorium-fuelled MSRs. The Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics (SINAP) is coordinating the programme, which will be carried out at universities across China.

Two reactor designs will be developed simultaneously- a molten-salt cooled reactor known as a Fluoride-Salt-Cooled High-Temperature Reactor (FHR), and a thorium molten-salt fuelled and cooled reactor (TMSR).

Development of the FHR is being prioritised as the technical challenges relating to this reactor are considered easier to resolve (see 6.1.1).

A 2MW research FHR is scheduled to be completed by around 2017. By around 2020, a 2MW research TMSR is scheduled for completion. For both reactor
designs the intention is to follow up the 2MW research reactors with 10MW pilot reactors, and then 100MW demonstration reactors. Funding for these larger reactors depends upon the success of the initial 5-year programme. In the longer term, the programme aims to build both a 1000MW FHR and a 100MW MSR demonstration reactor in the 2030s.

The Chinese programme employs over 350 full-time staff and is the world's only comprehensive MSR R&D test facility, covering all aspects of MSR development including reactor design, high-temperature molten salt loops, pyroprocessing of spent fuel, safety and licensing, and high-temperature materials. The number of personnel involved in the programme is projected to grow to 750 by 2015 and 1500 by 2020-25.'

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2015 5:16 am 

Obama proposes 30-year agreement with China on nuclear power

Quote:
President Barack Obama on Tuesday proposed a 30-year agreement to cooperate with China on nuclear power, a deal that would allow the transfer of material, reactors, components and technology between the two nations, if approved by the U.S. Congress.

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2015 10:05 am 

It looks like he has thought it better to outsource nuclear to China. At least it will get done faster, like the US in the 70's. Bad luck for the US triars. The only reactor approved in the US in recent decades was proved in China.

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2015 10:12 am 

Doesn't ABWR have generic design approval?

That hasn't had a single unit laid down in (People's Republic of) China to my knowledge.

RoC of course has some units....

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2015 10:57 am 

Kirk Sorensen wrote:
Obama proposes 30-year agreement with China on nuclear power

Quote:
President Barack Obama on Tuesday proposed a 30-year agreement to cooperate with China on nuclear power, a deal that would allow the transfer of material, reactors, components and technology between the two nations, if approved by the U.S. Congress.

Finally, it seems, a proposal from this administration that I can support. Devil in the details? Any poison pills?

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2015 10:06 am 

charlesH wrote:
Any poison pills?

"Approval by congress"?

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2015 10:06 am 

The Chinese have enough of coal power now and would like to go nuclear. They may share the knowledge about it with Americans, Russians, hack it off the web or develop it themselves.
What the US can expect out of it is lower cost technology and reduced risk of accidents if the Chinese make use of old knowledge.

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2015 8:39 am 

I don`t see it that positive....

The USA and Europe can of course base their societies for another 2 - 3 generations on fossile fuel. Technical developments make it possible to use resources unknown or not usable a few decades ago. On the other hand the strange new (eco)Religion might threaten the industrialization in these countries itself with fiction stories as the climate hoax. I don`t want my kids need to emigrate to Asia.

From my Point of view it is to show the society, the financial investors and the politicians a nuclear alternative.
Visions and illusions are very helpful. At the end benefits count. A key benefit of a nuclear alternative needs to be a cost advantage vs. coal and natural gas.

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2015 10:23 pm 

alexterrell wrote:
charlesH wrote:
Any poison pills?

"Approval by congress"?

A poison pill is something (unrelated) put in to make congressional approval impossible.