Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 10:20 am 

Mark Halper has a good new blog going for the Weinberg Foundation. He is in China now for the Thorium conference and is providing great updates online. The latest entry shows the Chinese have moved to a more reasonable time frame of a first molten salt "cooled" 2 MWth reactor by 2017 followed by a true molten salt "fueled" reactor by about 2020 (previously they were aiming for 2015 and 2017, a very challenging timeline).

http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/

David LeBlanc

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 12:26 pm 

From the article:

Quote:
a 2-megawatt molten salt cooled, solid fuel thorium pebble bed reactor, from the original 2015 to 2017

Does that mean they will not use standard TRISO fuel?

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 2:49 pm 

I'm sure it is still TRISO fuel within the pebbles. Just that the completion date has been changed. They only pebbles they can currently get their hands on are from the gas cooled designs currently in China which are not an ideal size (too large) but you take what you can get I guess...

David LeBlanc

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 1:36 pm 

I strongly believe that the right step in studying the behavior of salt is to use it as secondary coolant in fast reactors. It could lead to waste digesters. The Chinese would be also justified if they have a pebble-bed reactor to improve in the heat transfer department.
Thorium can be introduced as an exotic enhancement for introducing a better fissile U-233 in the fast spectrum MSR when introduced as a waste burner.

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2012 1:47 am 

David wrote:
I'm sure it is still TRISO fuel within the pebbles. Just that the completion date has been changed. They only pebbles they can currently get their hands on are from the gas cooled designs currently in China which are not an ideal size (too large) but you take what you can get I guess...

David LeBlanc

David is correct. The CAS is working to test a 2 MWth ordered pebble bed configuration, cooled by molten fluoride salt. They provided an overview at the 4th FHR Workshop, held Nov. 1-2 at MIT. By using a stationary, ordered packed pebble bed, this research reactor will generate a range of important experimental data on neutronics and thermal hydraulics. Because the mean free path of neutrons in graphite/salt moderated systems is larger than the diameter of fuel pebbles, the data will be widely useful in validating neutronics models for both solid fuel and fluid fuel salt reactors.

-Per