Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently May 23, 2018 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 6:44 am 

Just came across this excellent read on Chernobyl:

http://epirev.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... 7.full.pdf

It has data on dose rates of the restricted area. Between 70 and 400 mSv in 70 years which is 1.1 to 5.7 mSv per year.

This is a typical background radiation level!!

So by the Chernobyl evacuation and condemnation standard, pretty much all of Europe should be condemned and evacuated based on natural background radiation levels! All of Scandinavia is worse than the highest value of the restricted area around Chernobyl!

Pretty shocking.

Last edited by Cyril R on Jul 08, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 6:52 am 

Thanks.
Unfortunately the link seems to be dead :|

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 7:35 am 

jaro wrote:
Thanks.
Unfortunately the link seems to be dead :|

Fixed it, some weird URL messup from the firewall/threat gateway system we have here.

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 8:31 am 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the dose rate exponentially decrease over time? The figures given in the 70 year table are an accumulation of the effective doses over 70 years. This should mean there's a relatively high (probably dangerous) dose rate at the start of those 70 years. Comparing a dose rate at a given point to an average over a longer period doesn't really tell you much.

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 9:11 am 

Gilliam wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the dose rate exponentially decrease over time? The figures given in the 70 year table are an accumulation of the effective doses over 70 years. This should mean there's a relatively high (probably dangerous) dose rate at the start of those 70 years. Comparing a dose rate at a given point to an average over a longer period doesn't really tell you much.

Yes, of course. However:
1. LNT doesn't care about this at all.
2. this makes my simple calculation and argument conservative (for the argument of today's habitability) which is a good thing.

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 4:40 pm 

This blows my mind.

Is it possible that the methodology is somewhat flawed?

e.g. the dose rate over large areas is far from homogenous and there is a tendency for decay products to accumulate in certain areas, creating hotspots (trees, for example).

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm 

What's the dose rate per year today in Chernobyl? I suppose that's the important question. I suppose I could also find out easily with google.

I do appreciate you taking their abuse of math and model and turning it right back on them.

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2014 1:14 am 

Joshua Maurice wrote:
What's the dose rate per year today in Chernobyl? I suppose that's the important question. I suppose I could also find out easily with google.

Yes, a good addition. Though not that easy to find, surprisingly. Lots of Bq maps and lots of radiophobic sites to wade through.

This one looks decent:

http://chornobyl.in.ua/en/radiation-bac ... raine.html

Peak today appears to be 25 microR/h, that's 2.2 mSv/y. The red area. Since this only measures gamma radiation it accurately describes the cesium contamination dose rate. Well actually no, about half that peak dose appears to be natural, so likely we're talking about roughly a 1 mSv/year peak from Chernobyl contamination in the worst affected areas today.

2.2 mSv/year is below the average natural background radiation of the world, due primarily to ubiquitous radon.

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2014 3:04 pm 

Seems to have restricted viewing but if you can find a copy, recommended to all:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes ... sode/7190/

Wildlife of all types is flourishing in the 'restricted zone'.

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2014 4:43 am 

Cthorm wrote:
This blows my mind.

Is it possible that the methodology is somewhat flawed?

e.g. the dose rate over large areas is far from homogenous and there is a tendency for decay products to accumulate in certain areas, creating hotspots (trees, for example).

If trees are the hotspot, the average dose would be much lower. People don't live in trees, been that way for a couple million years or so. So you only get a higher dose when you're talking a walk in the forest, the average dose would then be much lower. Still I doubt all this hotspot stuff, since trees in the area occur mostly in large agglomerations (forests) so you would definately see this on maps even with low resolution grid.

As you can see from the links, the radiation outside the immediate Chernobyl area seems to travel a lot. That's news for me. At one point there will be 0.1 mSv of "unnatural" gamma dose in an area, the next month it could be 1 mSv. This suggest the fission products are still confined to the top areas of the soil in the more lightly affected areas, but this travelling contamination is almost as bad as the immediate vicinity of the Chernobyl plant.

But the dose rates are always small. All of this land is perfectly habitable, otherwise you'd have to conclude that Switzerland, Finland and Sweden are not habitable.

Also the dose rate maps are consistent with the lifetime dose estimates from IAEA and other authorities.

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2014 3:49 pm 

Some guy claims there is no credence to the less than 200 people died from Chernobyl radiation as he claims there is a cemetery in Belorus alone that has 2500 victims of Chernobyl. Any data to counter that claim ?

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2014 7:27 pm 

A lot of things were blamed on Chernobyl by those in the Ukraine.

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2014 1:54 am 

macpacheco wrote:
Some guy claims there is no credence to the less than 200 people died from Chernobyl radiation as he claims there is a cemetery in Belorus alone that has 2500 victims of Chernobyl. Any data to counter that claim ?
The way I heard it was that there is a cemetary for the liquidators that contains over 3000 graves so far. Of course, most of them died of stress or alcohol related issues, others of general statistical occurences (accidents and whatnot). They are just now, about 25 years later, beginning to see what MIGHT be an increase in cancer related deaths that might be attributable to Chernobyl.

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2014 1:28 pm 

KitemanSA wrote:
macpacheco wrote:
The way I heard it was that there is a cemetary for the liquidators that contains over 3000 graves so far. Of course, most of them died of stress or alcohol related issues, others of general statistical occurences (accidents and whatnot). They are just now, about 25 years later, beginning to see what MIGHT be an increase in cancer related deaths that might be attributable to Chernobyl.

I don't see it. There were reportedly over 100,000 liquidators, if only 3,000 have died in 28 years that is below natural death rate even if they were all young. It is 3% death in 28 years.

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2014 6:52 am 

Cyril R wrote:
I don't see it. There were reportedly over 100,000 liquidators, if only 3,000 have died in 28 years that is below natural death rate even if they were all young. It is 3% death in 28 years.
I didn't say the story was from yesterday. It is an old story. But the point is that liquidators have been dying at elevated levels of causes UNrelated to their exposure but related to their stress from people telling them they aregoing to die. Oh, and telling them that vodka cures radiation poisoning.