Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Oct 20, 2018 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 2:08 pm 

Always nice to see something like this in a country that had decided to get rid of nuclear reactors:

Der Spiegel: The Inexorable Comeback of Nuclear Energy

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 4:06 pm 

I sent in a letter to the editor proposing LFTR to address the waste issue.

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 4:11 pm 

charlesH wrote:
I sent in a letter to the editor proposing LFTR to address the waste issue.

The "unsolvable problem of waste" seems to be the thing they always talk about in these articles. The really dangerous waste (fission products) solves its own problem through decay, you can avoid the transuranic waste by using thorium, and you can destroy transuranic waste already produced in a fast reactor.

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 4:21 pm 

It's apparently only unsolvable in countries like Germany or the US, where the utilities pay into a government administered fund for waste deposition. In both countries that fund has accumulated to a point where it becomes very interresting for politicians to get their greedy hands on it by declaring the waste issue unsolvable.

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 4:26 pm 

I agree--it's looking more and more to me like paying into a waste fund is an irresistible temptation both for the utilities and the government. The utilities absolve themselves of responsibility for the material for a nominal fee (which in fairness was probably a basic condition of them accepting nuclear power in the first place) and the government gets a steady and accumulating stream of revenue (some $25 billion in the US now) which at some point they can declare as theirs.

The US government long ago spent the money coming in from the utilities for the permanent deposition of waste--now they don't have the guts to actually take it. It's a pity we couldn't get folks in power to take a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit and offer a prize or an incentive to the best scheme for dealing with the spent fuel.

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 4:28 pm 

Klaus Allmendinger wrote:
In both countries that fund has accumulated to a point where it becomes very interresting for politicians to get their greedy hands on it by declaring the waste issue unsolvable.

Nice ! :lol:

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 10:30 pm 

Nuclear-Power Debate Reignites in Germany

Quote:
And she may get help from the country's youth. Germany is still the center of anti-nuclear sentiment in Europe, but a new generation of Germans with shifting priorities has their doubts about the 2001 agreement. The government's stated goal on greenhouse gases is to reduce emissions by 40% from 1990 levels by 2020 and 80% by 2050. Without nuclear energy, many are asking, is that a mere pipe dream?

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2009 10:37 pm 

I think this picture shows what the alternative to nuclear power in Germany is:

Here is the original article:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,496691,00.html

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2009 8:09 am 

I think those planned power plants are a replacement for the old coal fired power plants...which is a reduction in CO2 emission and fuel consumption anyway, as the Germans will probably force the closure of the old plants

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2009 12:15 pm 

IIRC the capacity of the 26 coal plants is about the same as the capacity of their nuclear fleet which are going to be 'phased out' ~ 25 GWe.

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 12:17 am 

I finally read this, and I described Areva's solution to waste: recycle the fuels and put the fission products into glass logs. It's poor reporting for them to fail to understand the waste issue, and I told them so.

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 8:04 am 

I still dont understand the fixation on waste disposal. Dry storage is good enough for centuries at a time, and why people really feel its necissary to plan beyond that is something I'm still having trouble with.

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 1:03 pm 

dezakin wrote:
I still dont understand the fixation on waste disposal. Dry storage is good enough for centuries at a time, and why people really feel its necissary to plan beyond that is something I'm still having trouble with.

I think you need to make a distinction between reasons and excuses. Nuclear waste disposal is simply an argument used to persuade people who are ignorant about nuclear power, which is almost everybody. They aren't even lying, since they ignore any information that contradicts their world view. Compared to the waste produced by coal plants, nuclear waste disposal issues are trivial.

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 11:59 pm 

JoelUpchurch wrote:
I think you need to make a distinction between reasons and excuses. Nuclear waste disposal is simply an argument used to persuade people who are ignorant about nuclear power, which is almost everybody. They aren't even lying, since they ignore any information that contradicts their world view. Compared to the waste produced by coal plants, nuclear waste disposal issues are trivial.

Joel you are correct in my opinion, however it is the opinion of 85% to 97% of population in EU (depending on a which EU country), that solving the nuclear waste "issue" now, rather than in the next generation, is mandatory for nuclear power to flourish. In my opinion "educating the masses" obviously failed and we better come up with a solution - such as the LFTR :)

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 10:17 am 

As i live there in germany hamm, i can confirm that the hatred against nuclear power here is very common. I also can confirm that all the anti nuclear guys don't even know what nuclear energy is about- here in germany the uneducated people call it atomic energy, we have atomic waste and atom power plants which is just the wrong word (in my opinion all energy is atomic energy) and the correct word would be fission power plant or nuclear power plant.

If you ask them why they are against nuclear power you mostly hear answers like chernobyl or nuclear waste as an unsolvable problem and they face dumb if you want to tell them facts.

I'm very interested what they say about LFTR ;)
More informations incomming.

Last edited by Myth on Feb 02, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.