Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Sep 25, 2018 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: German Nuclear Policy
PostPosted: Sep 18, 2008 11:54 pm 

Here's an article entitled "Germany in Hot Seat as G8 Pushes Nuclear Power"

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,3466695,00.html

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2008 6:03 am 

Here's a poster I designed attacking the German nuclear phase-out. It compares Gerhard Schroeder (behind the phaseout, and now paid €500,000 per year by Gazprom) with Erich Honecker (former Soviet puppet dictator of East Germany).

The text means "RUSSIA'S LACKEYS - Phase out the Nuclear Phaseout!"

NB: the original design used Hitler's army toady Wilhelm Keitel (nicknamed "Lakaitel" -- "Lackey"-tel at the time by German soldiers), but I switched to Honecker after a PM discussion with Klaus Allmendinger suggested that contemporary Germans wouldn't recognize Keitel's picture.

Last edited by GCarty on Dec 12, 2009 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2008 8:23 am 

Dealing with energy is playing with fire, both literally and metaphorically. A nuclear reactor is really a more intense fire. We have to accept people getting scared of it and learning to handle it and overcoming the scare. We could help others getting over it but we must understand and respect their viewpoint. It is not rational to make fun of some for getting scared and to get scared when others try to master it.

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2008 9:50 am 

Ordinary people can get scared due to their ignorance and their inability to understand science and technology. Leaders cannot claim that luxury. They are supposed to understand the issues and guide the common people.

S.V.Swamy
Quality Management Expert
Nuclear Reactor Components

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2008 3:47 am 

I love the poster. I do not know enough about German politics to understand why few people seem to have made the linkage between having a chancellor interested in his personal wealth accumulation, a policy implemented under his leadership to shut down well built and carefully maintained nuclear plants decades before they have worn out, and that same chancellor taking a high salary from the Russian state owned gas monopoly that wants to have a larger group of addicts for its product.

It has nothing to do with fear of nuclear power. If I was a German, particularly one who had lived in the eastern part of the country before 1989, I would be really, really upset about a policy that invites additional Russian domination of such an important part of the economy as energy.

Of course, if I have been told repeatedly by my leaders that windmills and solar panels were sufficient, I might not notice just how much of my electricity was coming from those operating nuclear plants and how much more gas will be purchased to replace their output if they are shut down.

Founder, Adams Atomic Engines, Inc.

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2008 9:42 am 

I'd like to continue the debate on posters over on this thread...

By the way, I've read that most Green Party voters in Germany are well-paid public-sector workers. Perhaps they claim to oppose fossil fuels because they want carbon taxes, but oppose nuclear power too because the real reason they want carbon taxes is not to reduce CO2 emissions, but because they want the revenue for their own salaries.

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2008 3:58 am 

atomicrod wrote:
I love the poster. I do not know enough about German politics to understand why few people seem to have made the linkage between having a chancellor interested in his personal wealth accumulation, a policy implemented under his leadership to shut down well built and carefully maintained nuclear plants decades before they have worn out, and that same chancellor taking a high salary from the Russian state owned gas monopoly that wants to have a larger group of addicts for its product.
You may want to PM Klaus Allmendinger about that one...

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2008 8:05 pm 

atomicrod wrote:

The mood in the German population is changing. But not fast enough in the political parties (yet).
The problem is the interrelation between politicians and green lobbying groups and companies. It is very common nowadays in Germany to have politicians being actively involved in wind and solar companies WHILE they have a political mandate. It's sanctioned and not talked about by the mostly "green" oriented mainstream press. After all, it's "politically correct". :roll:

Anyway, for those that can read German, here's a very interesting article by Edgar Gaertner:
http://ef-magazin.de/2008/11/30/830-oekologisch-industrieller-komplex-die-allparteien-koalition-gruener-amigos

In it he digs into what he calls the "ecological-industrial-complex" in Germany, and how politicians use "green policies" to line their and their clients pockets with custom made laws.

His contention is that with the end of the cold war, a new scary scenarios, a replacement for the former soviet threat, had to be created to allow the former military-industrial-complex to continue to reap taxpayer money. A overblown AGW scare would provide that justification. Hardly a day goes by when there's not a new scary scenario printed in the German press. Mostly sourced from government sponsored special "climate institutes" and Greenpeace.
All the former political connections of these companies worked still, and allowed them to pass laws to line their pockets even better than before. After all, now this exploitation is "environmentally correct" and does not run into any protests from the street.
Unfortunately politicians from ALL German parties are involved, from the conservative to the far left.

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2008 1:17 pm 

Klaus Allmendinger wrote:
Anyway, for those that can read German, here's a very interesting article by Edgar Gaertner:
http://ef-magazin.de/2008/11/30/830-oekologisch-industrieller-komplex-die-allparteien-koalition-gruener-amigos

In it he digs into what he calls the "ecological-industrial-complex" in Germany, and how politicians use "green policies" to line their and their clients pockets with custom made laws.

Wow.

I've only read a dire machine-translation of the article to this point (it struggled terribly with the German word order), but the level of corruption implied is mind-boggling. The eco-stupid groups have ruthlessly exploited the people's mistrust of Big Business -- this may be what we need to turn the tables on them!

By the way, the original American version of the phrase was "pollution-industrial complex" AFAIK. Also, is the "Amigo" in the title a reference to the "Amigo affair" (a German political scandal of the early '90s)?

Last edited by GCarty on May 23, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2008 4:34 pm 

Wow, I stand corrected. And I thought corruption was a problem for developing countries like India!

Swamy