Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Apr 27, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2016 8:23 am 

@Tim,
I'm not saying the turbine blades will fail, I am posing questions in the hope that an expert (not me) would know/contribute. I am a mechanical engineer and recall the *fun* we had in school with some classes and water/steam tables. Somewhere in my travels, maybe on a EfT thread, I've learned a bit about steam cycles in real power plants, so that is why I've asked. Also, I've learned from others like Cyril to always think of materials issues, so that is why I was curious about the water and carbon dioxide forming carbonic acid - but for all I know the temps are too high and the acid never forms, or it disassociates, or there is too little time for it to form.
I too am hopeful that a supercritical carbon dioxide turbine can be developed, and GE certainly has the bankroll, talent, and experience to develop it.

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2016 9:21 am 

Excellent, Jim!

So we're all good here. Now that you've remarked on those chemical and physical conditions for carbon dioxide, I have some homework to do.

The main point is that sCO2 gas turbines are NOT commercially available just at this time during which the Flibe Energy LFTR is being designed, licensed, and built. It's ironic that 20/20 vision aligns numerically with the year 2020 when Flibe fires it up? The ERPI report evaluates of the four key systems only the reactor cell and the chemical processor and not the PCS or the off-gas system.

So Kirk's wisdom to prioritize that way is very efficient? Let GE be a partner to Flibe Energy. I'm a dreamer.

By the way, Cyril could be an avatar for a heavy weight. I'm more interested in the convincing of the electorate to learn and share in Kirk's vision shared by John Kutsch and the Thorium Energy Alliance for the LFTR option so that people will vote in congressional representatives who will introduce and vote for a United States Thorium Energy Act of some sort.

Asteroza introduced the Ramgen idea. When I read that DOE and NETL had been funding its development, I did a cursory search at NETL who seem to be ignoring the thorium fuel cycle. Dr. Lyons at the one hearing became defensive when asked about thorium. I think it's time for an act of congress on this vital issue; the very foundation of the global economies.

—Joel A. Barker, USAF strategic planning consultant

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2016 9:30 am 

I see that the topic question SC CO2 Reactor? initiated by KitemanSA was rejected by our generous host of this forum with the not-so-gentle parting message, "If a stupid idea like this is what the forum wants to talk about then maybe it's time to totally shut down this form. Topic locked."

How unfortunate. The present topic seems to be relevant to the Flibe Energy LFTR PCS.

I hope guests respect this forum. If Kirk shuts it down, I have learned from it and express gratitude to him for making this possible.

I believe in the Flibe Energy mission that deserves a very high priority in global energy technology policy.

—Joel A. Barker, USAF strategic planning consultant

PostPosted: May 23, 2016 4:41 pm 

That's a shame, while there are a long list of good reasons not to do a direct SCCO2 power cycle through a reactor core, I'd be reluctant to kill the conversation. But as Admin, Kirk does have that privilege.