Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Jul 23, 2018 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2016 9:37 am 

I am curious as to if a cooling tower is required when using a CO2 turbine in a LFTR. I know it can desalinate ocean water for free but assuming you wanted to build a reactor in the middle of the dessert with no easy access to a water source would a cooling tower be required?

Thanks very much in advance!

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2016 10:22 am 

Cooling must take place somehow. If you don't want to use water to cool the CO2, you can use air, but it's going to take a very large flow of air to get that done, and could be a big big structure. Conventional evaporative cooling towers do use air to do most of the work, but evaporate some water to achieve that effect.

There's a lot of desert facilities for coal burning today that manage to get the water they need for conventional cooling towers. I saw a big one a few months ago in Utah, in the middle of a bone-dry desert. They had gotten the water rights to the local river and used it for cooling almost 2 gigawatts of electrical generation, which then got sent off to Los Angeles via a high-voltage DC line.

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2016 9:42 pm 

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work you do to promote LFTR.

I hope that one day the general public starts caring less about honey boo boo, and duck dynasty, and more about things that actually matter like LFTR.

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2016 11:58 pm 

You may want to look at Heller type cooling towers. They have all dry natural draft and mostly dry natural draft mode tall towers, and shorter towers with forced draft. Bilibino nuclear plant is a Heller dry cooled plant, but it's located above the arctic circle so cheating a little bit, but it does demonstrate all dry cooling. The makers of Heller towers are pretty confident in making a natural draft all dry (with periodic wet assist) tower for nuclear plants, though they have yet to do so.

It's functionally easier to do dry cooling with the higher temperature of the CO2 loop. CO2 cooling faces the problem of too much cooling in some situations actually, causing dry ice formation in the lines if you screw up.