Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Feb 23, 2018 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 10, 2011 5:24 am 

rgvandewalker wrote:
JAK, you sound a lot like David Hahn... have you read about him? See how his career has gone?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

whenever someone mentions hahn, i always have to mention;
he was 16
he was trying to make plutonium. actively attempting to produce it
he hadn't even talked to the NRC

i don't think i can over-think or over-engineer this entire project beyond a certain degree. but i'll be damned if i don't try to.
'gunna call up the NRC tomorrow about licensing and if teaming up with a university might change things

PostPosted: May 11, 2011 3:55 pm 

licensing in america looks like a 30 year timetable, and that's for a big-ass professionally designed PWR with lots of funding and lawyers

however!

teaming up with a university might yield interesting results. i might not be able to get an entire facility in my backyard, but i could do some testing they might not have the funding or personnel to do in their lab; provided they're doing the designing work for the test rigs.

apparently there was another fellow attempting to breed thorium in his garage (yes, IN his house, smashing idea). and got woken up in the middle of the night by an FBI swat team. apparently he was already buying materials before doing any serious design work (also a FANTASTIC idea, of course) and they suspected he was building a dirty bomb (?)

working WITH an NRC licensed university will probably prevent THAT from occurring.

the fellow at the NRC also imparted some interesting information; pretty much nobody is interested in any kind of nuclear power at the moment. no investors, no venture capitalists, no power companies, no nothing in the wake of fukushima. getting the "word out" that LFTR is way safer and smaller than that will be one hell of a challenge