Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently May 20, 2018 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2014 9:40 am 

Kirk Sorensen wrote:
MS in aerospace engineering, Georgia Tech, 1999
MS in nuclear engineering, University of Tennessee, 2014

no longer working towards a PhD, had to give up that dream when I started a nuclear company.
Take it to success and I would venture that you will have truly earned all the "honorary" PhDs you will be given.

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2014 10:29 am 

KitemanSA wrote:
Take it to success and I would venture that you will have truly earned all the "honorary" PhDs you will be given.

You ain't kidding. I think I could have earned a few doctorates with the stuff I've done that I have to keep under wraps as intellectual property.

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2014 2:49 pm 

Kirk Sorensen wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:

You ain't kidding. I think I could have earned a few doctorates with the stuff I've done that I have to keep under wraps as intellectual property.

And see that’s the problem, the really interesting things that one does, we cannot talk about.

By the way Kirk, Congratulations on your Masters.

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2014 8:36 am 

I gave a "brown-bag lunch" talk yesterday at the Howard Baker Center for Public Policy yesterday on the topic for my thesis: "Thorium Research during the Manhattan Project Era". I was pleased with the attendance and it seemed to be well-received.

PostPosted: May 18, 2016 11:46 am 

The last line of the preface:
Thorium Research in the Manhattan Project Era, Kirk Sorensen wrote:
"This thesis is a unique addition to the body of work on this era covering a subject that I believe will be of great importance to us as we seek to develop a lasting energy source for the twenty-first century and beyond."

As such, Kirk, you're uniquely qualified to make this thorium fuel cycle case before Congress, our President, our nation, and by default, the whole world; especially since you've been actively doing it for years under the popular radar.

I believe that the recent legislative actions to modernize the NRC's mission to accommodate advanced reactor designs, given the unique nature of the birth of peaceful nuclear energy artfully elucidated in your May 2014 masters thesis, ought to afford you special consideration for permission to develop the thorium fuel cycle and a pre-qualification for the initiation of Flibe Energy's LFTR U.S. NRC licensing plan fully supported by DOE vouchers and agreements (GAIN preferred status?) and industry endorsements.

Industry evidently wants someone else to go first in the fluid-fueled MSR reactor design. I wonder if H.R. 4979 will finally break the investment Catch-22 and with reallocation and increased funding authorizations to DOE in support of advanced nuclear reactor development bring regulatory certainty to attract private investment.

—James Arthur Baldwin, American novelist, essayist, playwright, poet, and social critic