Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Feb 23, 2018 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2013 1:53 am 

What are the big unanswered questions in nuclear physics?

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/mul ... ar-physics

Anybody willing to contradict this offered opinion?

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2013 1:39 pm 

Axil wrote:
What are the big unanswered questions in nuclear physics?

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/mul ... ar-physics

Anybody willing to contradict this offered opinion?

What a pointless question to 99.99% of humanity past, future, or present.

The only nuclear physics question that concerns me is

will humans take advantage of nuclear power before humans self-destroy themselves?

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2013 8:34 pm 

The magic number nuclei and the quark-gluon plasma are super interesting, but likely the biggest question of all is the nuclear force in time. From the big bang to maybe 370 million years is not fully understood but we have good ideas, and then after the inflationary period it seems a lot of stellar neucleosynthsis went on and the question of the nuclear force's (really all the forces) constancy (or variability) in time is intriguing.

It always seemed to me that once physics got the quarks figured out for the first phase of protons and neutrons (long before the top quark,) normal nuclear physics became almost dormant as researchers jumped to more mysterious particle physics. In other words, there are gaps yet to be filled in. This shows up in both physics and astrophysics where discussions get to some point and you just jump over things and nod in agreement that the old original work in neucleosynthsis is the last word. Is it? Just think how much quantum mechanics was developed many decades after the theory was fairly well understood.

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2013 1:54 pm 

Just read a paper about magic number nuclei and new advances. We always knew about the fermion coupling that made us think of the two body exchanges but apparently three body contributions are really important as well. But some kind of orbit filling concept seemed needed for the typical 8, 20, 28, and 50 numbers of Z or N. Now a new number has been identified... 32.

This is in general interesting because some longer lived nuclei are found off the traditional Z-N plot valley of stability and now it is thought that three body interactions may play a significant role. Quite unexpected in my opinion, but very interesting.
Note: edited the previous "not new number" of 28 to the new number...32

Last edited by rc1111 on Dec 11, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2013 2:16 pm 

rc1111 wrote:
Just read a paper about magic number nuclei and new advances. We always knew about the fermion coupling that made us think of the two body pion exchanges but apparently three body contributions are really important as well. But some kind of orbit filling concept seemed needed for the typical 8, 20, 28, and 50 numbers of Z or N. Now a new number has been identified... 28.

This is in general interesting because some longer lived nuclei are found off the traditional Z-N plot valley of stability and now it is thought that three body interactions may play a significant role. Quite unexpected in my opinion, but very interesting.
rc1111 wrote:
The magic number nuclei and the quark-gluon plasma are super interesting, but likely the biggest question of all is the nuclear force in time. From the big bang to maybe 370 million years is not fully understood but we have good ideas, and then after the inflationary period it seems a lot of stellar neucleosynthsis went on and the question of the nuclear force's (really all the forces) constancy (or variability) in time is intriguing.

It always seemed to me that once physics got the quarks figured out for the first phase of protons and neutrons (long before the top quark,) normal nuclear physics became almost dormant as researchers jumped to more mysterious particle physics. In other words, there are gaps yet to be filled in. This shows up in both physics and astrophysics where discussions get to some point and you just jump over things and nod in agreement that the old original work in neucleosynthsis is the last word. Is it? Just think how much quantum mechanics was developed many decades after the theory was fairly well understood.

WILL ANY OF THIS EVER BE OF PRACTICAL USE?
nope

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2013 5:06 pm 

I would not hazard a guess at what new discoveries might prove to be useful -- I have no clue. I am reminded of physics at the end of the 19th century when the general attitude was we knew everything we needed to know. Who could have guessed that today 70 percent (give or take) of the gross national product of the USA is dependent on quantum mechanical effects.

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2013 6:52 pm 

rc1111 wrote:
I would not hazard a guess at what new discoveries might prove to be useful -- I have no clue. I am reminded of physics at the end of the 19th century when the general attitude was we knew everything we needed to know. Who could have guessed that today 70 percent (give or take) of the gross national product of the USA is dependent on quantum mechanical effects.

??? I am completely lost about the "gross national product of the USA is dependent on quantum mechanical effects"..

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2013 11:15 pm 

NicholasJanssen wrote:
??? I am completely lost about the "gross national product of the USA is dependent on quantum mechanical effects"..
You wrote that on something dependent...

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2013 11:37 pm 

how is the usa economy based on the knowledge of quantum physics?

what sectors of the usa economy actually needs a knowledge of quantum physics to operate profitably?

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 3:21 am 

Depends on what you mean with your question. Probably a very small minority (few thousands of engineers) actually need to understand quantum physics so that your computer will work. But if they didn't then you have to imagine what the US would look like with computers that look like they did before PC's came along. Oh and your digital cameras, video cameras, game boys, DVD players, etc also would not be here - your planes and cars would be much different. That's a start but I'm sure the list is much longer.

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 4:15 am 

NicholasJanssen wrote:
WILL ANY OF THIS EVER BE OF PRACTICAL USE?
nope

It is kind of hard to tell what going to be of practical use before you have researched it and know what it does.
The work that lead to the transistor was pretty theoretical like this stuff and almost noone expected it to have the effect it has had.

Studying subatomic physics may eventually allow us to actually make the fabled "computronium".

NicholasJanssen wrote:
how is the usa economy based on the knowledge of quantum physics?

what sectors of the usa economy actually needs a knowledge of quantum physics to operate profitably?

Good luck making a transistor work (or better yet, understanding how it works to make a better one) with only classical physics.

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 5:52 pm 

Thanks guys... without the magic of tunneling, and other quantum effects, our modern economy would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Transistors, chips, computers, communications, IPhones, your car, oh my, the list is ad infinitum. I am not sure we would all survive a dramatic return to classical physics. Let's see... steam engines and telegraphs, and yes, radio waves... My TV would weigh 1,000 pounds. It is a really big one so I would likely have cataracts, or worse, just from the bremsstrahlung.

I'll take quantum physics any day.

Now the EM force is pretty good and dominates our life, but I would like to see more of the strong and weak force so we have even more EM force generated from LFTRs. That would be a lot more efficient.

In the original post about known magic numbers I incorrectly listed 28 twice... the newly found number is 32. (Physics Today, Sept. 2013, p. 16)

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 10:41 pm 

Creation of entanglement simultaneously gives rise to a wormhole

The quarks are connected by a wormhole that exists in the 5th dimension where space and time does not exist.

We can see this multi-dimensional principle in operation in a two dimensional allegorical world on the surface of a swimming pool where the counter rotating solitons are connected in a higher third dimension within the depths of water in the pool.

Quark pool (soliton "pairs")

Quarks are localized and confined vortexes (aka solitons) of energy that exist in the Higgs field that do not dissipate because of the agency of the superfuildic superconductivity of the Higgs field.

Baths and Quarks: Solitons explained

Entanglement exists in the 5th dimension and it stores energy when the quarks are formed or when the quarks are moved apart. The 5th dimension is where the connective strong force operates.

Most of the energy that makes up matter is stored in the 5th dimension. Since all quarks are entangled, this entangled 5th dimension is where dark energy lives and gravity operates.

Since the strong magnetic fields produced by LENR can destroy the superconductivity that the quarks exist in, the connective energy between the quarks is retrieved from the 5th dimension and made real again to reenter and reappear back into our world.

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 2:00 pm 

Axil wrote:
Creation of entanglement simultaneously gives rise to a wormhole

The quarks are connected by a wormhole that exists in the 5th dimension where space and time does not exist.

We can see this multi-dimensional principle in operation in a two dimensional allegorical world on the surface of a swimming pool where the counter rotating solitons are connected in a higher third dimension within the depths of water in the pool.

Quark pool (soliton "pairs")

Quarks are localized and confined vortexes (aka solitons) of energy that exist in the Higgs field that do not dissipate because of the agency of the superfuildic superconductivity of the Higgs field.

Baths and Quarks: Solitons explained

Entanglement exists in the 5th dimension and it stores energy when the quarks are formed or when the quarks are moved apart. The 5th dimension is where the connective strong force operates.

Most of the energy that makes up matter is stored in the 5th dimension. Since all quarks are entangled, this entangled 5th dimension is where dark energy lives and gravity operates.

Since the strong magnetic fields produced by LENR can destroy the superconductivity that the quarks exist in, the connective energy between the quarks is retrieved from the 5th dimension and made real again to reenter and reappear back into our world.

This is what is wrong with quantum physics.... it turns into magical things that devolve into LENR, wormholes, dark energy, 5th demension, and even "holy" particles.

All of this happens because the simple fact is unless you have a particle accelerator, quantum physics will remain worthless to you your entire life.

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 3:56 pm 

NicholasJanssen wrote:
All of this happens because the simple fact is unless you have a particle accelerator, quantum physics will remain worthless to you your entire life.

Maybe not.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/curio ... hanics.htm