Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2013 2:43 pm 

I want to be safe that the ground is safe for me to walk on.

What is the best type of radiation detector?

Do you own one?

please help..

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2013 7:48 pm 

Yes I have one. It is a fun toy. Unfortunately, the battery died while I was driving cross country but before I got to the Rockies. The background level is about the same here in Washington as it was back in VA, maybe a tad lower.

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2013 5:21 pm 

I picked up one of these on ebay. Have yet to play with it. For the price, its a no-brainer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geiger-Counter- ... 4abbe42341

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2013 8:04 am 

It won't read much at ordinary levels of radiation, "The ranges of this instrument are 0-0.5, 0-5, 0-50 and 0-500 roentgens/hour. " I bought the Radex.

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 8:44 pm 

For my purposes, I find that a bullsh*t detector is more useful than a radiation detector. Make sure you get a heavy-duty model if you intend to use it on news about Fukushima. :lol:

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2013 2:18 am 

Which kind of detector do you need? neutron counter? gamma spectra measurement? or some other purpose? If you don't live near nuclear facility (nuclear power station, accocelator, or uranium mine), I think the strongest radiation is from cosmic rays.

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2014 3:23 pm 

longwei1221 wrote:
Which kind of detector do you need? neutron counter? gamma spectra measurement? or some other purpose? If you don't live near nuclear facility (nuclear power station, accocelator, or uranium mine), I think the strongest radiation is from cosmic rays.

you **THINK** the strongest radiation around you is from cosmic rays?

so much talk about radiation, but so few people actually measure the levels in their own bedrooms!

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2014 6:41 pm 

in my area the dose would be coming from thorium and of course radon gas. Ever read whats coming off your granite counter top? At 5000 feet there is increased comic sources as well.

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2014 11:37 pm 

Quote:
Make sure you get a heavy-duty model if you intend to use it on news about Fukushima

So funny Russ. Love it.

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2014 11:49 pm 

I think the old woman in this film are way more happy then a lot of soul's here in the west.
I wish them a happy 2014.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bab ... hernobyl-0

I bet they don't even have to pay taxes. :lol:

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 3:39 am 

Wilson wrote:
I think the old woman in this film are way more happy then a lot of soul's here in the west.

Here's an excerpt from the site:

“The Babushkas of Chernobyl” is a documentary about an extraordinary group of women who live in Chernobyl’s post-nuclear disaster “Zone of Alienation” or “Dead Zone.” For more than 25 years they have survived – and even, oddly – thrived, on some of the most contaminated land on earth. Are they sick? Are they crazy? How do they protect themselves against the wild animals that have returned to prowl the forests around Chernobyl? Do they weigh the relative risks of isolation and radiation – knowing that even now the crumbling cement cover over reactor #4 could collapse at any time? How have they maintained their fiery spirit having lived through the worst atrocities of the 20th century?

Is this yet another example of the hyperbole surrounding any discussion about nuclear power? "Dead zone"? Really? Is it that bad? Oh, and these women lived through Stalin, Hitler, and Chernobyl. Excuse me? Which of the three does not belong in the set?

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 5:37 pm 

old ladies don't pay taxes anywhere especially when they do not have an income. I should think it hard for them to cut wood unless the gas is still hooked up and in that case the Russians are paying for some more free Ukrainians gas. Perhaps the electric power is still hooked up.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 8:19 pm 

Russ wrote:
Wilson wrote:

Here's an excerpt from the site:

“The Babushkas of Chernobyl” is a documentary about an extraordinary group of women who live in Chernobyl’s post-nuclear disaster “Zone of Alienation” or “Dead Zone.” For more than 25 years they have survived – and even, oddly – thrived, on some of the most contaminated land on earth. Are they sick? Are they crazy? How do they protect themselves against the wild animals that have returned to prowl the forests around Chernobyl? Do they weigh the relative risks of isolation and radiation – knowing that even now the crumbling cement cover over reactor #4 could collapse at any time? How have they maintained their fiery spirit having lived through the worst atrocities of the 20th century?

Is this yet another example of the hyperbole surrounding any discussion about nuclear power? "Dead zone"? Really? Is it that bad? Oh, and these women lived through Stalin, Hitler, and Chernobyl. Excuse me? Which of the three does not belong in the set?

I like this post.

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2014 12:30 pm 

FWIW I own a GMC-300 from http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/

After the initial novelty, you realize that besides the background radiation (<30 counts per minute here), there isn't much in the way of radioactivity around you.

So then you go hunting for it.

And you buy a used smoke detector at a garage sale for $1 and retrieve the tiny chip of metal with ~1/4 microgram Am-241 on it and it clicks nicely and you're happy for a bit.

But then you want more, so you go to Safeway and buy a 20kg sack of sodium free water softener which is almost pure KCl and you get a slightly elevated reading from the ~120 PPM K-40 and you're like 'heh' ;)

But then you read about cool radioactive things on sites like http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/cons ... nsumer.htm and you start sifting through more garage sales and thrift shops and antique shops and you find uranium glass, uranium glaze ceramics, old thorium gas mantles, TIG welding rods with red tips, old thoriated camera lenses, radium dial clocks and you *just*can't*stop*

So, sure, get a geiger counter. But be careful, because it's addictive! :-O

;)

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2014 1:48 pm 

Np-236 wrote:
So, sure, get a geiger counter. But be careful, because it's addictive! :-O
As long as you are not getting a Tc-99m bone scan just so you can measure yourself (I peaked out at about 25µSv/hr when I measured myself 10 hours after the injection) then you are still ok.