Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Feb 20, 2018 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 2:03 pm 

NEWS! Nirvana Energy Systems has developed the Nirvana Thermo Acoustic Power Stick™ (TAPS™). This "technology enables unparalleled benefits to the consumer. The technology converts gas into electricity at an efficiency greater than the average efficiency of the US power grid. Simultaneously the excess heat is used for providing domestic hot water and/or space heating. The overall system efficiency is over 90%, meaning that only a very small amount of heat escapes the home, making the TAPS™ very environmentally friendly compared to current heating and electricity solutions."

http://www.nirvana-es.com/system.html

http://www.nirvana-es.com/technology.html

This will lower both energy costs and CO2 production. The final solution will be some form of clean nuclear energy, and that new technology is gaining knowledge and power every day.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 2:13 pm 

home cogeneration is nothing new

Cogeneration or combined heat and power (CHP) is the use of a heat engine[1] or power station to simultaneously generate electricity and useful heat.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 2:35 pm 

Read the links. What is new is that it is a compact product that make home electricity production cheap. Currently, home generators are out of sight expensive because of low efficiency.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 3:59 pm 

This is interesting. I recognize the names of the co-founders from Stanford, where I was a student many years ago.

The description left several questions in my mind. Is it some kind of fuel cell? Does it replace a conventional gas hot water heater? How much money is it expected to save a typical homeowner, and what is the expected payback time? When is it expected to actually be available commercially?

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 4:25 pm 

I suspect it is a large black chip that converts natural gas to heat and electricity, similar to the technology that was demonstrated on 60 Minutes several years ago. This technology comes from NASA. This is news because it is a home device, and the heat is used to heat hot water and your home. It is a type of fuel cell, I suppose, but very different than the current generation.

Now word on exact costs. You can email them and ask. They claim cheaper than the grid.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 5:00 pm 

Why exactly would this be cheaper than the low-tech Listeroid gas engine?
The one that primarily produces hot water for heating and hot water purposes and generates electricity as a bonus.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 5:17 pm 

Honda tried to bring a similar concept to market about 10 years ago. The goal was to produce hydrogen from natural gas for fueling the FCX clarity car, while also providing some electricity and heat for the house.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/home-energy-station.aspx

Just think if instead they were selling a device to compress natural gas for fueling a Civic GX, and using the fuel cell to provide electricity/heat when no extra CNG is needed.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 6:04 pm 

The problem with going for a natural gas distributed generation 'bridge' is that it essentially eliminates any possibility of moving to a nuclear electricity solution.

The electricity system will be obsoleted by the gas system and will haev to be maintained if any hope of ever moving to a non gas solution is to be kept alive.
That costs vast amounts of money.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 6:18 pm 

A large percentage of Americans already have natural gas piped into their homes, and this system works with propane as well. In places like New York and California, this will greatly reduce the cost of living. California has made electricity so expensive it is ridiculous, and the grid in California is very unreliable with frequent blackouts.

I just wonder if this device could be used in a vehicle. What would you do with the heat in a car other than warm up the cabin in the winter? We need improvements in heat-to-electricity technology for it to really work for that. It probably could be used to power cargo ships.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 7:10 pm 

It is not a fuel cell. The NASA license grant says it is an alpha-stream convertor with a magnetostrictive alternator.

In plain English, I think that means the natural gas or propane is converted into vibratory motion, likely through a Stirling engine. The vibrations are reshaped in an acoustic drum. The sound waves are converted into electricity by a solid state material that converts motion into electricity, like Terfenol-D.

Nirvana says the device will replace water heaters and boilers. The cost of a water boiler is $2,500 to $9,000. The expensive high efficiency boilers are up to 99% efficient, so I'm not sure what advantage Nirvana offers.

Oh wait, maybe this is a clue: Nirvana says "Excess electricity can usually be sold back to the power company." Sweet deal. I can get the electricity utility to subsidize part of my gas bill.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 7:17 pm 

I didn't see any makes or models. I saw no distributors. Could be snake oil.

But you know, it doesn't have to be. You could run a generator from natural gas and use the heat from the exhaust to heat your water and your home. It would need a good heat exchanger for exhaust to fresh air.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 7:18 pm 

$2500 for a boiler?

Just how big are you getting?

A 30kW combi is something like a 1200 USD even in the UK.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 7:31 pm 

E Ireland wrote:
$2500 for a boiler?

Just how big are you getting?

A 30kW combi is something like a 1200 USD even in the UK.

Includes installation costs. Just going by quick online guides like these:

http://home.costhelper.com/boiler.html
http://www.kompareit.com/homeandgarden/ ... rnace.html

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 7:55 pm 

If it is a different technology than the black chip shown on 60 Minutes, then there will be more competition in the marketplace, which is a good thing. The black chip featured on 60 Minutes was being used by a Silicon valley company to produce electricity for a very big building. I forget the name of the inventor, but remember he was an Indian who use to do work for NASA.

A company called Brillouin Energy Corporation has functioning Low Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR ) technology similar to Andrea Rossi and Defkalion. One device they have in development is a simple and inexpensive hot water heater that uses ordinary water (which releases hydrogen) and nickel as fuel. This device has a low COP, but could safely be used in homes to replace standard home water heaters. Brillouin has a second device in development which is a more complex nickel powder and hydrogen gas device that they claim has a COP of about 100:1 and operates at 600 degrees Celsius, which is an ideal temperature for producing electricity. Brillouin claims that their devices, as well as Rossi's and Defkalion's devices, all work by capturing electrons (not cold fusion). You can see a computer animation of how they claim it works at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HT2Hr5jPIY

Brillouin has signed a production contract with a South Korean company hoping to retrofit old coal power plants with their new technology. One or more of Brillouin's reactor designs are being tested at the well respected Stanford Research Institute (SRI), which is headquartered in Menlo Park, California. The Korean company tested the device for a full year at SRI before signing a contract. They hope to generate electricity for 2 cents per kilowatt hour by retrofitting old coal and biomass power plants that have been shut down due to air pollution restrictions.

http://www.brillouinenergy.com/

Defkalion’s new LENR reactor design is near completion. They had a chemically instigated LENR reactor but decided to go with a better electrical spark ignition to make it more stable and avoid lawsuits from Rossi. The spark turns H2 gas into H1 gas and into Rydberg State hydrogen. The COP should be very high, above 20:1.

Andrea Rossi had a home heating LERN device ready to sell but could not get UL approval because UL figured out that it was a nuclear device and want any new nuclear technology to be proven industrially under strict controls for years before they will allow it in the home. Rossi's new inexpensive to manufacture hot-cat reactor design heats up to 1,100 degrees C. Rossi also now says it is not fusion, so the elctron capture theory seems to be gaining momentum. We do not know what the COP will be of his commercial product, but expect it to be over 10:1. Rossi was bought out by a bigger company with both USA and Chinese connections. Cherokee Investment Partners are somehow involved. With Koreans and Chinese getting into all of this, things should happen quickly.

I remember how long it took HDTV to get from idea and prototype to marketplace. This is happening faster than HDTV. Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda, NASA and half a dozen other organizations and companies are also involved. Why the television media is ignoring all of this is beyond comprehension. Thorium has tremendous potential, but it also has tremendous competition. I would not presume to know what will be the dominate energy source of the future. I just want them all to be cheaper and cleaner than fossil fuels. We may have a mix of different energy schemes, all of them brilliant, and all of them affordable.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 8:18 pm 

this is an advertisement thread (close/lock/delete)

for a company that isnt even selling a product

so the only thing they must want is "investors"

i hope nobody is stupid enough to invest in a cogeneration company without a product.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next