Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently May 21, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: A comprehensive plan
PostPosted: Apr 22, 2014 9:34 pm 

Ida-Russkie wrote:
Don't you need a federal license to own the special nuclear material?

Yes, just like you need a federal license to possess marijuana. Even though the federal government has declared marijuana a controlled substance there are several states where marijuana possession licenses are issued. If things continue like they are I suspect one of two things must happen, either the federal government will have to issue licenses to possess and refine nuclear material or states will act in open defiance of federal law and issue those licenses on their own.

There are many differences between marijuana and thorium but also a lot of similarities. Both marijuana and thorium are everywhere, its not like it's all that hard to obtain. To get either all you need to do is go wander about with the knowledge of what to look for and where you'd be most likely to find it. Mass production is an issue but we've been farming and mining for millennia. A lot of why people fear thorium and marijuana is based on ignorance and misinformation, that can be dealt with by education.

One difference is that thorium can, theoretically at least, be turned into a weapon. Developing nuclear weapons and nuclear power have a lot of things in common but there are enough differences that a state could easily, IMHO, demonstrate to the federal government no intention of building weapons.

The federal government only has the authority the states grant it. We've had federal laws overturned before because the states disagreed with the federal prohibitions. Women got the right to vote because the states thought different. The prohibitions on alcohol was lifted. Now we're seeing federal marijuana laws being defied.

For states to defy federal law there would have to be a very good reason for it, such a thing is not to be taken lightly. I know it's more complex than this but with the marijuana laws one way to summarize the issue is that three things happened. First, people lost their fear of marijuana. States found themselves in a dire economic situation, overcrowded prisons from enforcing marijuana laws being part of the issue. States knew that they could derive taxes from marijuana and that the federal government has softened on marijuana enforcement.

Will states issue licenses to produce nuclear power? If the federal government doesn't blink first then I believe they just might.

PostPosted: May 24, 2014 7:23 am 

The US regulations are so debilitating that the right way now is to outsource the new developments.
http://nextbigfuture.com/2014/05/per-pe ... -salt.html
Per Peterson and the DOE seem to have realized it and are taking the obvious action.

PostPosted: May 24, 2014 5:17 pm 

I can not see any state having the expertise or political guts to issue a license without the NRC.

PostPosted: May 25, 2014 6:39 am 

Couldn't you smuggle electric power via Mexico or Canada?

PostPosted: May 25, 2014 7:54 am 

The grid is already connected across the boarders so yes it can be imported. I can see Canada doing this before Mexico.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7