Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Feb 22, 2018 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2015 7:19 pm 

It could be helpful to contact organizations which oppose nuclear power. Right now I have Interfaith Power and Light in mind.

IPL has a web site and also has chapters in principal cities including here in Albuquerque NM. It has a strong anti nuclear position. In talking to the a local leader and also in talking to a national leader, I am told that they know nothing about alternative nuclear technologies and do not have time to study them. To me that's like insisting on driving a car in heavy city traffic without first learning to drive; it's completely irresponsible!

I suggest that people here contact IPL and try to persuade them of the imperative to learn more about the subject before taking a firm position and also to encourage discussion. Here is an excerpt from their website:

"Cost and Timeline: The high cost and long time frame required to build new nuclear plants is prohibitive, given the immediacy of global warming. Energy efficiency and conservation are the fastest, cleanest, and cheapest ways to achieve significant greenhouse gas emissions reductions and this should be our first focus. Taking into account the entire life cycle of mining uranium (a nonrenewable resource) and disposing of the waste, nuclear power production is neither clean nor renewable. Investing billions of dollars in this technology drains funds away from much more cost effective, rapidly deployable, and truly renewable alternatives, such as wind, geothermal, and solar power. (For more information on cost, please see economic studies referenced below)

"Safety: From mining uranium to the end of the fuel cycle the technology is not safe. Until scientists find a safe way to deal with radioactive waste generated at every phase, building more nuclear power plants would be irresponsible to present and future generations. The link to weapons proliferation and terrorism cannot be avoided. Placing dangerous nuclear materials in the midst of our communities poses an unacceptable risk of a catastrophic event. Such an event could be a massive release of radiation due to a plant meltdown or a terrorist attack, and could kill tens of thousands of people as well as poison large areas with radioactivity for millennia.
"

Here is a link to their webpage on which the above appears: http://www.interfaithpowerandlight.org/public-policy/

Also, if there is anyone here in Albuquerque who would be interested in attending a meeting at which the matter could be addressed, I would appreciate being contacted.

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2015 1:21 am 

I have tried to talk with my fellow politicians and while they often express sympathy they will mostly not even have a one on one discussion on the subject.

It is much easier to get to discuss the subject with other people. My conclusion is that for politicians, opinions are their reality while for normal people the physical reality and rational arguments can determine their opinion. That is why I now think that the right way to change the politics is by educating and organizing normal people and then the politicians will follow.

My prediction with IPL is that they will not help you getting to talk with their members, but if you get to talk with them rather than the leaders you might convince many of them.

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2015 6:40 am 

Koistinen wrote:
I have tried to talk with my fellow politicians and while they often express sympathy they will mostly not even have a one on one discussion on the subject.

It is much easier to get to discuss the subject with other people. My conclusion is that for politicians, opinions are their reality while for normal people the physical reality and rational arguments can determine their opinion. That is why I now think that the right way to change the politics is by educating and organizing normal people and then the politicians will follow.

My prediction with IPL is that they will not help you getting to talk with their members, but if you get to talk with them rather than the leaders you might convince many of them.

Politicians don't want to talk about nuclear power because only a tiny slice of the population are actively pro nuclear.
The time when politicians convinced the people about this or that is great is gone, they only actually do that when they're being paid by their political contributors to do that, then they create whatever smokescreen that will reach such goals.

The only hope for nuclear is to convince people about nuclear facts. Or go do nuclear at dictatorships or poor countries.
When the first DMSR is operational perhaps we'll have a compelling story to talk about with the general non scientific population.

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 8:51 am 

Also, anything nuclear only gives results after the next election. But it might cost money before then.

I think it was 2005 the UK realised it needed nuclear power. We're not two full parliamentary terms later, and it still isn't happening.

A court in the Netherlands has ordered the Government to cut emissions further than otherwise, by 2020. Now, if we had some off the shelf SMRs we could sell - with like a CCGT plant, a 4 year lead time.....

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 3:07 pm 

alexterrell wrote:
Also, anything nuclear only gives results after the next election. But it might cost money before then.

I think it was 2005 the UK realised it needed nuclear power. We're not two full parliamentary terms later, and it still isn't happening.

A court in the Netherlands has ordered the Government to cut emissions further than otherwise, by 2020. Now, if we had some off the shelf SMRs we could sell - with like a CCGT plant, a 4 year lead time.....

Germany could start by restarting reactors shutdown after Fukushima, and rolling back nuclear specific taxes created to price nuclear out of the Germany market.
Start using Thor Energy Pu+Th MOX fuel quoted to allow 20% power uprates due to higher termal margins and higher fuel melting point.

The reality is Germany is infested with people that are convinced that Chernobyl killed hundreds of thousands of people, and that it created a lot of cancers in Germany due to nuclear "fallout" from Chernobyl. They are unwilling to accept the fact that alarmists stated outright that millions would be killed from Chernobyl, yet less than a thousand killed so far and in all likely hood less than 10,000 total will be killed.
Plus they don't accept the fact that a Chernobyl type accident is impossible with any Gen III reactor.

That's the debate that must be had. Until the people loose their anti nuclear PREJUDICE, Nuclear will die in Germany, unfortunately. It's sad that Germany's prime minister holds a PhD in QUANTUM CHEMISTRY ! However if she tried to explain why nuclear isn't so bad to the people, she would be thrown out of office in a heartbeat.

Like Winston Churchill said, democracy stinks, until you look at the alternatives. Democracy works in Germany, so the people must be convinced, and that's a tall order... Much easier to convert a couple of USA states instead. The ones who aren't ideologically opposed to nuclear already.

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2018 7:09 pm 

DOE wants ideas to educate the public about nuclear energy