Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Sep 20, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: search feature broken
PostPosted: Jan 15, 2009 11:19 pm 

hi Kirk,

search is not working (only finds last few posts). Perhaps one needs to rebuild some indexes?

Until this is fixed, forum can be searched by Google using "site:energyfromthorium.com":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pr ... Hledat&lr=

Last edited by ondrejch on Jan 16, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2009 11:33 pm 

I tried again yesterday to fix this, but I think I broke it even worse. Every time I try to get the program to compile the search index, I get a big SQL error. Anyone know what we might need to do? (I could temporarily grant admin privileges to someone who could figure this out)

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2009 7:37 am 

Kirk Sorensen wrote:
I tried again yesterday to fix this, but I think I broke it even worse. Every time I try to get the program to compile the search index, I get a big SQL error. Anyone know what we might need to do? (I could temporarily grant admin privileges to someone who could figure this out)

Do you have the sql error handy? Maybe you need to increase some sql parameter or something similar.

@ondrejch, thank you for the tip.

-k

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2009 10:41 am 

I thought while you were discussing the search features that I noticed that doing a google search of thorium energyfromthorium.com does rank pretty low. I can suggest some real basic tweaks in your meta tags
I noticed that they are currently blank in the actual html code.
<meta name="keywords" content="" />
<meta name="description" content="" />
By adding comma separated series of keywords in the quotes after content
And also a single sentence describing the site the search engine ranking will
improve over time.

rmaltese

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2009 10:59 am 

konper wrote:
Do you have the sql error handy? Maybe you need to increase some sql parameter or something similar.

Here's what it says when I try to create a "fulltext mysql" index:

Quote:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Column 'post_text' cannot be part of FULLTEXT index [1283]

SQL

ALTER TABLE phpbb_posts ADD FULLTEXT (post_subject), MODIFY post_text mediumtext COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL, ADD FULLTEXT (post_text), ADD FULLTEXT post_content (post_subject, post_text)

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysql.php
LINE: 158
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/search/fulltext_mysql.php
LINE: 738
CALL: dbal_mysql->sql_query()

FILE: includes/acp/acp_search.php
LINE: 363
CALL: fulltext_mysql->create_index()

LINE: 46
CALL: acp_search->index()

FILE: includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 471
CALL: acp_search->main()

FILE: adm/index.php
LINE: 74
CALL: p_master->load_active()

Here's what it says when I try to create a "Fulltext native (active)" index:

Quote:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

SQL

ALTER TABLE phpbb_posts ADD FULLTEXT (post_subject), MODIFY post_text mediumtext COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL, ADD FULLTEXT (post_text), ADD FULLTEXT post_content (post_subject, post_text)

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysql.php
LINE: 158
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/search/fulltext_mysql.php
LINE: 738
CALL: dbal_mysql->sql_query()

LINE: 363
CALL: fulltext_mysql->create_index()

LINE: 46
CALL: acp_search->index()

FILE: includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 471
CALL: acp_search->main()

FILE: adm/index.php
LINE: 74
CALL: p_master->load_active()

Anybody know what any of this means?

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2010 2:18 am 

I did a Google search on the following:

I got a lot of info on this error situation.
Some people even say they solved this problem.
Take a look; it might help.

For example:

Just recording some technical notes on the issues the message board encountered and the fix:

- The upgrade from phpBB3 3.0.0 to 3.0.5 encountered a problem when upgrading the mySQL database.
- There was one statement in the upgrade SQL command that failed. The failure message was "#1283 - Column 'post_text' cannot be part of FULLTEXT index".
- The way that SQL works is that if one part of the command fails, the entire command fails.
- So, the problem was that the 3.0.5 board was running with a 3.0.0 database. The symptoms were things like, could not reply to posts, post new topics, etc. without getting "doesn't have a default value" errors.
- The supposed fix for the problem is a mySQL upgrader script described in the knowledge base. The script changes the database to make the schema correct. However, the upgrader script also fails due to the same upgrade problem. http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/doesnt- ... ue-errors/
- The actual problem was caused because the upgrader scripts tried to change the collation for posts.post_text.
- MySQL objected to the collation change because post_text was used in a FULLTEXT index named post_content which combined the post_subject and post_text fields.
- The specific objection was that it would have made the collations for post_subject (utf8_unicode_ci) and post_text (utf8_bin) different.
- As of mySQL version 4.1, this is not allowed: "As of MySQL 4.1, the use of multiple character sets within a single table is supported. However, all columns in a FULLTEXT index must use the same character set and collation." http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/ ... tions.html
- Either the 3.0.0 database schema obeyed this rule while the 3.0.5 schema did not, or it could have been that the lc.org web host upgraded mySQL from <4.1 to 5.0.85.community somewhere along the way. I'm not sure which is the case.
- The problem with the phpbb3 upgrader script was filed as bug #46285. http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/46285
- The bug was reported June 9, 2009 and fixed as of August 7, 2009. Meanwhile, phpBB3 3.0.5 was released May 31, 2009. Version 3.0.6 has not yet been released. So, the fix will be in 3.0.6, whenever it gets released.
- The fix for #46285 is to simply drop the problematic FULLTEXT indexes. As I understand it, it drops all indexes with multiple keys.
- Because of the fix, it is likely that we won't have the same problems when upgrading to 3.0.6.

- The workaround we used was to change the collation for post_subject to utf8_bin. This means that our database schema is different than the one prescribed by phpBB3. I don't think that this workaround will cause any problems or side effects, but it is possible that it might.
- Searching seems to work fine for now. If we see problems down the line, ACP>Maintenance>Search Index "delete index" and then "create index" might help.

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2011 6:28 pm 

Unfortunately Google just gets you too many results and of course no means to find by topic.