Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Oct 19, 2018 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lftr/MTF hybrid
PostPosted: Jan 05, 2009 9:28 pm 

Udo Stenzel wrote:
Axil wrote:
After all, steam engine technology is well tested and risk free.

I was about to tell you that knowing about which reactions give additional neutrons doesn't tell you how many will appear and whether they can even make up for the losses to additional structural material or how complete burnup of anything is impossible without reprocessing, but that's all for nought, since if you think dozens of pistons impacting within milliseconds at a third the speed of sound is "just a steam engine", then your off your rocker and beyond help.

Yes, it is a crazy thing. Since the 1950’s, many very smart, determined, and talented men have tried their hand at making real the prospect of fusion. Many billions have been spent, are being spent, and will be spent to perfect and make real this very enticing and even magical technology. If it were easy, it would have been done already. But we here, all of us, do not shrink from challenge.

I am truly amazed and flabbergasted that such a sure thing as the elegant and sober Lftr can not gain the confidence of the capitalists; and yet general fusion inc. is funded to the tune of 10 million dollars to construct a proof of concept system as crazy as that system is. Life is not just.

My detailed examination of their approach has turned up, I think, some significant design holes that I will describe and try to mitigate. I do humbly admit that my talents and abilities are just a faint shadow of the tall and imposing talents universally found on this site who’s tolerant and good natured criticism I sincerely cherish and any competence I own is due to their patient mentoring.

In point of fact, there are some present here on this site that are so emanate and imposing that I fear to speak out in discussion. It’s like having Albert Einstein help this confused and stumbling student with algebra homework. But I will improve with the help of all here who are willing.

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2009 12:00 am 

Udo Stenzel wrote:
Axil wrote:
After all, steam engine technology is well tested and risk free.

I was about to tell you that knowing about which reactions give additional neutrons doesn't tell you how many will appear and whether they can even make up for the losses to additional structural material or how complete burnup of anything is impossible without reprocessing, but that's all for nought, since if you think dozens of pistons impacting within milliseconds at a third the speed of sound is "just a steam engine", then your off your rocker and beyond help.

Sorry not to get back to you sooner.

Quote:
• I was about to tell you that knowing about which reactions give additional neutrons doesn't tell you how many will appear and whether they can even make up for the losses to additional structural material or how complete burnup of anything is impossible without reprocessing…

The basic principle behind the “LIFE” fusion/fission hybrid is to produce abundant neutrons (10e20 neutrons/second) through fusion to completely burn either light water reactor wastes or depleted uranium (100% burnup). Since the fissile material is formed into TRISO pebbles, reprocessing is definitely not a part of the “LIFE” design. So it may be possible (at least LLNL thinks so) that a fusion/fission hybrid can achieve complete burnup without reprocessing.

Quote:
• since if you think dozens of pistons impacting within milliseconds at a third the speed of sound is "just a steam engine", then your off your rocker and beyond help.

Before the two founders of general fusion founded that company, they made their living designing high speed line impact printer heads. This background has given them confidence that pistons can be controlled to impact within a timeframe of a few milliseconds.

Here is some background about high speed impact printer heads as follows:

Drum Printers are some of the fastest printers made before the advent of modern super-high speed laser printers. Models in the early 1990s could run at speeds of over 6000 lines per minute (yes, 100 lines per second or about 90 pages per minute). By comparison, the fastest dot matrix printers were pushing towards 200 characters (2-3 lines) per second.

The principle behind a drum printer was quite simple. The main print "line" had a row of hammers, one for every character position on the paper (which would often be 132 or more for wide carriage paper). These hammers would be in front of the paper, and between the hammer and the paper would be the ribbon. Behind the paper was the drum. And on this drum would be impressions of fully formed letters and numbers. There would be a whole row of A's, then a whole row of B's, and so on, usually for upper case and lower case letters, numbers, and some punctuation. The paper would be pulled through by sprocket feed, usually from above and below.

(The arrangement could be reversed, with the hammers behind the paper and the drum in front - if this was the case, all the letters and numbers of the drum would be mirror images.)

For every line that needed to be printed, the drum would do one complete revolution. If, say, there had to be a "J" printed in the fifth position, then when the drum was on "J", the fifth hammer would fire, imprinting a "J" on the paper. By the time the drum had revolved, every possible character had been covered, so the line would be complete. The paper would then be advanced, and the process started again. With the drum spinning at 6000 rpm, and a fast paper advance, speeds of close to 6000 lines per minute could be achieved.

The output was limited to the characters on the drum (like a daisy wheel printer), and the print quality was far from brilliant. And the noise. Let's just say that most drum printers were kept in soundproof boxes! But as I mention above, the speed was outstanding. So if you were in a company that had lots of large reports, or pay slips, or anything of the sort, to print out, they were the best option.

By the 1990s, the ASCII character set was in general use. That means the high speed spinning print drum contained at least 256 rows of characters. So to print any given character, the print head had to fire the hammer in 1/6000x256 = 6.5e-7 seconds. More impressive is that this short time frame includes paper feed movement; so fast control and operation of hammers is within the realm of possibility.

A side story:

I saw one of these printers in operation. Usually they included a paper stacker, but once when the stacker was not functioning a report was needed in an emergency. I saw a 136 column wide fan fold paper shoot out the back of the line printer in a straight line for 15 feet before it hit the floor. I was impressed.

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 9:37 pm 

General Fusion Recognized for Excellence in Environmental Technology

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- 03/30/09 -- Vancouver-based General Fusion Inc. was recognized by H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco with an award for Excellence in the Field of Environmental Technology Research at the CleanEquity conference on emerging environmental technologies in Monaco last week.

"We are extremely pleased to receive this recognition from a discerning international audience," said Doug Richardson, CEO of General Fusion. "Fusion has sometimes been dismissed as an unattainable Holy Grail of energy, so it's great to have our core technology and development plan validated by industry experts - people who see that we have the potential to make clean, affordable fusion power a reality."

General Fusion's approach has won positive reviews from leading engineering and nuclear experts, including Los Alamos National Laboratory, and the Boeing Company. All have concluded that General Fusion shows great potential for realizing viable, affordable fusion energy.

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2009 3:36 pm 

Who needs big lasers; they will do it with sound.

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2009 5:04 pm 

Quote:
General Fusion claims its approach..... would make a nuclear fusion power plant commercially competitive against the cheapest coal plant, capable of producing clean, baseload electricity for less than 5 cents per kilowatt-hour.

...ooooooh we've got competition!

PS. Personally, I'm not concerned: Their acoustic converging shockwave system will produce some neutrons from D-T fusion, but nowhere close to "net gain."
The most interesting research that I've seen, along similar lines, was that of a group at UTIAS (University of Toronto Institute of Aerospace Studies), maybe 25 years ago.
They also got a few neutrons -- and also got some interesting results in using the converging shockwave to produce lots of microscopic diamonds....
But they never got any publicity in The Star, to my knowledge :cry:

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2009 5:48 pm 

jaro wrote:
Quote:
General Fusion claims its approach..... would make a nuclear fusion power plant commercially competitive against the cheapest coal plant, capable of producing clean, baseload electricity for less than 5 cents per kilowatt-hour.

...ooooooh we've got competition!

PS. Personally, I'm not concerned: Their acoustic converging shockwave system will produce some neutrons from D-T fusion, but nowhere close to "net gain."
The most interesting research that I've seen, along similar lines, was that of a group at UTIAS (University of Toronto Institute of Aerospace Studies), maybe 25 years ago.
They also got a few neutrons -- and also got some interesting results in using the converging shockwave to produce lots of microscopic diamonds....
But they never got any publicity in The Star, to my knowledge :cry:

If memory serves, they have gotten neutrons from their 6 inch mockup proof of concept sphere using aluminum foil and a big capacitor. You have to show something to get $13 million.

Its like digging for gold, the more people that put a shovel in the ground, the bigger the probability of eventual success for somebody.

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2009 1:39 am 

General Fusion, Developer of Novel Nuclear Fusion Method, Raises $9M in Venture Financing

General Fusion, a Burnaby, BC-based company that hopes to generate clean energy from a new form of nuclear fusion, has raised $9 million out of a $12.5 million equity offering, Xconomy has learned.

General Fusion, which Xconomy first cited in a British Columbia cleantech cluster story in March, is using the money to develop a technique called “magnetized target fusion” in which ionized gas is trapped by a magnetic field and compressed in a way that is safe, clean, and cost-effective, Richardson says.

The money will be used to support a four-year, $50 million demonstration project that hopes to show that this technique can achieve the first net gain in energy production using the magnetized target fusion method. This effort to pull off fusion in a cheaper and simpler way is being run in parallel with two other massive fusion projects: the $6 billion National Ignition Facility at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the U.S., and the $20 billion ITER project in southern France, Richardson says.

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 2:41 am 

Molten Salt Assisted Fusion

Putting some ideas together.

A molten salt assisted fusion reactor can be configured by generating a high powered electric discharge in the center of a three meter in diameter tungsten sphere filled with liquid molten salt composed of FilBi and ThF4. This high voltage and high amperage current discharge is directed through a spark gap between two composite electrodes composed of thorium hydride and carbon. The thorium hydride is formed from an equal mixture of deuterium and tritium.

The discharge will produce a large high pressure cavitation bubble in the center of the reactor sphere. A very high temperature plasma will fill that bubble which will immediately collapse after the power pulse has completed. Fusion of the deuterium and tritium plasma within the collapsing bubble will result.

The Z-pinch power pulse can reinitiate in a cycle in sync with formation of the cavitation bubble. A repetition rate of between 10 to 20 thousand cycles per second may be possible.

The heat from fusion and fission from thorium by isotopic byproducts are handled as usual per the single fluid design of the Lftr.

The acoustic drivers envisioned by General Fusion need not be implemented in favor of the simplicity engendered through the creation of the cavitation bubble by the z-pinch power pulse.

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 8:04 am 

I've been hearing about fusion since my school days in 19fifties and sixties. However the attempts to create controlled fusion are a big Confusion. Why not try a tested sources of neutrons in a sub-critical arrangement!
A small fast reactor core is quite controllable. Let its spare neutrons be reflected by a parabolic reflector to a point and trigger a sub-critical system!!

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 8:49 pm 

The cavitation bubble is the engineer’s best friend. The more that I get to know it, the more I like it. At its very heart, it is an energy storage device; like a spring that transforms kinetic energy into potential energy.

For acoustic cavitation, the cavitation bubble saves sound energy like a battery up until the liquid that supports the bubble is no longer capable of holding any more.

The bubble starts down hill picking up speed and efficiently concentrates all that stored kinetic energy into of small volume only a scant one half of a nanometer in diameter.

It has been calculated that a cavitation bubble can concentrate energy by at least a factor of 12 orders of magnitude. That is the low end estimate, it could be much more!

But for ultrasonic drive cavitation, the fluid is the limiting factor in how much energy that the bubble can concentrate.

In hydrodynamic cavitation however, there is no limit. A bubble produced with a laser or a spark will grow large enough in diameter to store the incoming energy. If the body of fluid that supports the bubble is large enough, the bubble will grow very large indeed. Because the time of the reaction is so short, energy has no time to leak out of the bubble.

All the energy, no matter if it is heat, or light, or x-rays, or gamma rays, or super heated plasma, or relativistic electrons, or subatomic particles, or magnetism, or static charge, all will be absorbed in the bubble wall as it pushes itself ever outward as it struggles to balance all the various forces and stores them for the collapse that will inevitably come. After the impinging onslaught of incoming radiation stops, the bubble will cease to grow, the bubble wall with all its wild undulations complete will then stabilize, and form itself into a perfect sphere, briefly pause, then begin its fall.

Like a bolder falling down a mountain, the bubble wall will pick up speed. The collapsing bubble wall will first reach the speed of sound of its supporting medium and then it will go beyond. It will become supersonic, then hypersonic. A hypersonic shock wave will develop before the wall and clear the way. All the debris and detritus of its creation will now be pushed forward ever faster as it compresses the matter, now plasma ever smaller and denser in a shrinking sphere of compression. Behind the wall a vacuum forms sucking the wall with even greater force than before.

The collapse builds on itself in and exponential acceleration compressing as it goes, the plasma ever denser until the first signs of resistance forms. Slow at first but growing fast. Atoms in the plasma grow ever hotter and denser until they are so close together but still bumping around wildly against each other in maelstrom confusion as their temperature escalates.

Now powerless against all that unimaginable heat and stripped bear of their electrons, the atoms are forced to merge; the forces in the nuclei can no longer keep them apart. They merge together from a pool of their constituent parts. A quark soup is formed. This is when strange things begin to happen where no one can predict what results.

Yes, this is a tale that could very well happen. If the Z-pinch delivers its 350 terawatt lighting bolt into the center of a large sphere of molten salt, the mother of all cavitation bubbles will form.

When all that energy is instantaneously stored with ultra high efficiency then transformed by a perfectly formed cavitation bubble into a hypersonic collapse with a power multiplication factor of 12 orders of magnitude, things will happen, things will definitely happen.

Concentrating all that power into a sub nanometer size region of space will cause varied strange and wondrous nuclear reactions to unfold.

Like the end of any good mystery story, I am curious and excited to see how all these strange and wondrous goings on work out; aren’t you?