Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Jan 19, 2018 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EVOL / MSFR
PostPosted: Mar 15, 2014 2:31 pm 

The EU / Euratom program EVOL, which was directed by the CNRS-IN2P3 from France, apparently held its final workshop in November last year. A couple of slides on the MSFR, which were presented during the workshop can be found here:

https://indico.in2p3.fr/conferenceOther ... onfId=8976

Does anyone know whether the MSFR program will be continued under the new Euratom R&D framework Horizon 2020 ? The total funding of EVOL (2010-2013) was only 1.8 million Euros, a level which is very low and which is barely the cost of a single 1MW wind turbine. Sad.

Post subject: Re: EVOL / MSFR
PostPosted: Mar 17, 2014 5:26 am 

I was at the said workshop last November. Of course it is planned to submit a new call, but the change of framework from FP7 to Horizon 2020 complicates things a little. Apparently, the focus of European research in nuclear will be "safety" and "waste & decommissioning", which should be fine for MSR (especially if we just maintain the funding level of EVOL which is pocket money in comparison to many EU programs). At least, that's what I got from the EU dude that seemed to remain deliberately obscure. I know for a fact that Elsa Merle-Lucotte (CNRS, LPSC, Grenoble) should lead the new call.

Post subject: Re: EVOL / MSFR
PostPosted: Mar 20, 2014 3:30 pm 

Boris H wrote:
I was at the said workshop last November. Of course it is planned to submit a new call, but the change of framework from FP7 to Horizon 2020 complicates things a little. Apparently, the focus of European research in nuclear will be "safety" and "waste & decommissioning", which should be fine for MSR (especially if we just maintain the funding level of EVOL which is pocket money in comparison to many EU programs). At least, that's what I got from the EU dude that seemed to remain deliberately obscure. I know for a fact that Elsa Merle-Lucotte (CNRS, LPSC, Grenoble) should lead the new call.

Thank you for the information. If the focus areas of the Horizon 2020 program are going to be safety, waste and decommissioning, the MS(F)R will stand a good chance. I think it would be helpful if the current EU program could be focused more on a near to medium term deployment of MSRs (think DMSR), also touting its advantages as a "waste eater". The MSFR is something of a long-term theoretical academic endeavour, which has still many challenges ahead such as the materials that are being envisaged for this reactor (NiCrW alloy) and issues with transients, etc.

At the same time, it is a pity that France, with its nuclear know-how and which like no other country has so much riding on nuclear energy, is still focusing its national research efforts on a sodium-cooled fast reactor, called ASTRID (co-funded by the EU). In terms of the international Generation IV reactor initiative, it is a duplication of effort, as two sodium-cooled fast reactors will go online later this year in Russia (BN-800) and India (PFBR).