Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Jan 16, 2018 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LFTR benchmark
PostPosted: May 31, 2014 11:59 am 

Hi there!
Is there any model of the LFTR to be benchmarked? You see there is a great deal of publications MSFR related, but even the GIF itself has greatly undermined the project altogether with the assigned deadlines ( last road map ). The MSFR in turn was the so called natural evolution from the AMSTER so that one is kind of gone too.
Regardless of the level of progress,information and publications regarding the remaining options, MOSART, China's MSR and FUJI are difficult to come by or non existent.
What is well documented if of course the MSRE, which was used of course, as "the" benchmarking tool. And also the no so happy MSBR.
So, what about the LFTR?
Is there anything available or is it just sealed because engineering secrecy and so?

Post subject: Re: LFTR benchmark
PostPosted: May 31, 2014 12:16 pm 

Stricto sensu, MSBR and MSFR are LFTRs. LFTR is a generic term (by the way rarely used outside the US), not a specific design. I'm also unhappy with MSFR (and MSBR, actually) which is a generic term used for a design (or a concept). In that sense, which design are you talking about?

MSFR publications should come again once the new EU "Horizon 2020" project is started. MOSART-related publications can be found by waves in Atomnaya Ernergiya (Atomic Energy, translated by Springer). FUJI has very little funding, and China is at the time very secretive about their program; as far as I know, they are doing more engineering (that usually does not get published in journals) than 'scientific work'.

PostPosted: May 31, 2014 2:01 pm 

Oh, yeah of course! I meant the reactor on everyone's mind when we use this terms. We could have said french-TuDelft-Grenoble-Politecnico MSFR but is not necessary.
So, what I meant was the "Kirk's American LFTR" which is the single or dual fluid fuel in a thorium cycle. There is allot on thorium, and some general safety features going on, that usually borrows quite an intresting ammount of ONRL figures, and also some crazy stuff about space and cars, but not the kind of information available for the MSFE or the MSRE.

PostPosted: May 31, 2014 9:33 pm 

Boris H wrote:
Stricto sensu, MSBR and MSFR are LFTRs. LFTR is a generic term (by the way rarely used outside the US), not a specific design.

Flibe Energy is working towards a series of LFTR designs. Some aspects are proprietary while others will be released more and more, and in some cases have been released.

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2014 12:20 am 

MSR, the Molten Reactor is the general term. MSFR has a fast spectrum. It is a MSBR if it produces more fertile fuel than it consumes. LFTR specifies fluoride salts and thorium as fertile fuel. It could be thermal or fast spectrum and any conversion ratio though a breeder has advantages. FLIBE design has some proprietary details as stated.

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2014 4:12 pm 

Again, I do understand that the different acronyms refer to concepts, but in the same way we all know what we are taking about when we say "standard PWR" ,a "600MWe CANDU" or the sadly famous "positive SCRAM" of a RBMK (whiteout the need to spell out the year 1986), we have quite a good idea what a MSRE, MSBR or MSFR is. In those cases we are talking about of a specific reactor, well documented btw, in which we know the power density, the importance function, temperature profiles, number of control rodes and their respective S curves, fast an thermal fluxes, values ans shape,heat transfer coefficient, reactivity margins and so on. Dimensions and materials etc. So one is able to take these values and reproduce results.
I have not being able to find this quality of information in regard to the thermal MSR nor in Flibe page, not in anywhere else. i just wonder why is that. So the question is:
Is there a standardize idea of a new thermal LFTR being develop? And if such reactor exists, at least in paper ( I'm talking of reproducible models and data, not slides and ONRL stuff ) is there any way to access them?