Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Nov 16, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2015 8:11 am 

I've been toying with the idea for a while and finally got around to writing my blog 'The Atomic Future'.
I am just going to ramble on about nuclear power and how it has the potential to change the world.

Here is the link - and please excuse my rather rambling and inefficient blog writing - still trying to find my feet.

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 8:47 am 

Good start.

How will you differentiate from the established nuclear bloggers?

Perhaps you need a page of introductions and further references, and then the blog.

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 9:07 am 

I was planning on going far more into peripheral subjects - talking extensively about the new industries and technologies and changes in lifestyle that would be produced by unlimited ~$30/MWh electricity (or less). That is why I am going with 'Atomic Future' rather than 'Future of Atomics' - Presenting an optimistic vision of what a large scale Nuclear rollout could lead to.

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2015 12:09 pm 

Second post- talking about my plan to just pump out ESBWRs using government financing.
Next time the interesting stuff starts.

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2015 5:50 am 

I'm not sure if you can claim the EPR is the favoured design for the UK. It's the favoured design for EDF, and because it's the only one accredited, EDF had the whip hand in negotiations with the Government. If the AP1000 and ABWR had been certified, then the Government could tell EDF to piss off, or to tell Arreva to do the same, and build 3 AP1000s at Hinkley. `

I'm actually quite surprised that EDF hasn't yet committed to Hinkley, given the extra-ordinarily generous strike price, meaning even with a dog of a design, their still guaranteed to make money.

It will be interesting to see what cost of capital NuGen and Horizon apply to their cost models for strike price negotiation.

Can I suggest in your next article you explore the feasibility of the 16GW of Gen III new build, and then ask what next, as the UK could do with 80GW by 2050.

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2015 12:02 pm 

If we were to fulfill my proposal that we should aim for Quebec levels of electricity consumption (20MWh/resident-year) then 80GWe is not going to cut it.
Would be looking at 110+GWe.
The French experience is that you can parallel construction of twenty reactors or even more potentially - so its not totally absurd.

Problem is that is also territory that has been covered numerous times.

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2015 10:44 pm 

Kudos for doing this blog. Good information, but then we all need more educational material explaining the nuclear answer. Now if there was just a way to cause people to read and study important material, we could solve a lot of mankind's challenges.