Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2018 8:55 pm 

Fuel Cells Finally Find a Killer App: Carbon Capture

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2018 8:13 am 

Wow! Thanks for this post, Kirk. Awesome! Sidebar: I'm glad your forum is still alive. I want to add my excitement on your leading the October 29th Inspiration at Brussels 2018 TEC. I like your style the best.

The NET Power sc-CO2 oxy-fired power machine is a potential carbonate producer.

—James Arthur Baldwin, American novelist, essayist, playwright, poet, and social critic

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2018 7:16 pm 

One miiiight be able to make an argument that putting a MCFC as a topping cycle replacement for the oxyfuel combustor in NETpower's allam cycle if you had a high enough pressure/temperature CO2 output, but at the current state of the art, the scaling gets weird. From their current turbine setup, you would have to lead out from a single compressor output to a small fleet of MCFC units then pipe back the supercritical CO2 to the turbine. That could work now, but the long piping for the supercritical CO2 is undesirable. One would prefer to keep the distance short (plus considerations for heat exchange/intercooling/recuperation), which pushes you into multiple matching fuelcell/turbine pairs rather than a big compressor/turbine and multiple MCFC's.

This would push into fuelcell gas microturbine hybrid territory, but supercritical CO2 cycle turbines are by their nature already quite small. Fuel cell makers would like to produce unit machines packed into cargo containers, and try to avoid making fuelcells larger than that, which means the power output for a given unit is effectively capped by container size. This is moreso when the gas turbine is collocated in the same skid/container. Previous hybrid fuellcell gas microturbine setups were already fairly compact in a container, so you might face the problem of making a usable conventional axial/centrifugal supercritical CO2 microturbine because the scaling forces you to make a very small turbine, which would be a pain to machine. I wonder if switching to RamGen style rotary supersonic compressor/expander designs might alleviate the difficulty in manufacturing at such a small scale.