Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Oct 21, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Jul 01, 2010 8:33 am 

Alex P wrote:
Axil wrote:
Here is some info supporting the use of chlorides to separate most metals and rare earths from a slurry waste stream at low temperatures.

United States Patent
Kruesi
December 18, 1979
Quote:
Process for making rare earth metal chlorides

Forgive the question, but has this anything to do with chlorides fast breeders often cited in this site or it' s a totally different process that can be eventually implemented both in fluoride and chloride reactors ?

No problem, it’s my privilege.

This invention is inspired and directed toward the mining and purification of various minerals as far as I can tell. The inventor specialized in this.

For you information, the assignee of the patent is the Cato Corporation. Currently, Cato Research Corporation is a full-service contract research and development organization with international resources dedicated to helping pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies efficiently and expeditiously navigate the regulatory approval process in order to bring new drugs, biologics, and medical devices to the people who need them.

What Cato Corporation did back in 1977, I do not know.

Can it eventually be implemented both in fluoride and chloride reactors? I hope so, if there is a good fit of course.

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 4:17 am 

Just curious, aren't these, previously cited in an other thread, better ? Or, which are the main differences between these different processes ?
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18022762
http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jnst/46/1/18/_pdf

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2011 8:54 am 

According to ORNL vapor pressure curves from various fluorides:

http://moltensalt.org/references/static ... L-3791.pdf

CsF is much more volatile than BeF2 under a hard vacuum, and the reverse is true at atmospheric conditions.

I was wondering if we can use this fact to remove CsF in another small vacuum distillation unit that operates at much lower temperatures, so that BeF2, UF4 and LiF stay in the still bottoms but CsF is removed. A tad of BeF2 might still (pardon the pun) come along with the CsF but that's no disaster.

It would be great if this step can be combined with a ZrF4 sublimation trap so Zr is removed as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6