Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Jan 19, 2018 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2013 9:48 am 

The Wiki entry for the MSRE is quite good (I wonder if Cyril had a hand in this?). One comment that isn't referenced that surprised me is...

Quote:
A potential decommissioning processes has been described;[23] uranium is to be removed from the fuel as the hexafluoride by adding excess fluorine, and plutonium as the plutonium dioxide by adding sodium carbonate.

Removing uranium from fluorination is obvious but I don't recall hearing about pulling PuO2 out by sodium carbonate.

The reference 23 cited...

Quote:
Evaluation of the U.S. Department of Energy's Alternatives for the Removal and Disposition of Molten Salt Reactor Experiment Fluoride Salts (1997)

Is only for sale online. I wonder if in this study they talked about this PuO2 method. Anyone know anything about it? There are probably some methods that are not appropriate for continuous fuel processing but might be good for final salt cleanups when salts are finished use...

David LeBlanc

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2013 8:41 am 

The document mentions that fluorination to recover dilute plutonium fluoride is not reasonable

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?recor ... 38&page=42

has a chapter on p. 42, "nonfluorination option for plutonium seperation".

It mentions this work is from Los Alamos. (Joel Williams, LANL). It mentions bubbling of oxygen and its for molten chloride salt application, but it then states that lithium carbonate is a suitable and convenient oxidant for the MSRE salt application.

It is likely that this approach coprecipitates other radionuclides along the Pu, likely also rare earths if present (and they would be present in large amounts for a DMSR salt recycle). If it can oxidise PuF3 then why not REs?

That's the annoying thing with Pu, it wants to stick with the REs.

PostPosted: May 16, 2014 12:58 pm 

The only lanthanide that can be readily oxidised to the +4 state is cerium, so this will be the only one that co-precipitates if the method is selective for metal (IV) oxides.