Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Jul 21, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2011 5:37 pm 

Cyril R wrote:
And it looks far worse for radical designs such as liquid fuel reactors (could easily take 100 years at this rate).

Yes -- that seems to be roughly the time scale for the French MSR project.

I think its unrealistic to expect anything significant in this decade -- even for ventures where attempts are made to circumvent civilian regulatory constraints by proposing military applications: The few politicians who have expressed interest in LFTR are getting voted out of office, and military budgets are getting cut drastically.
The last thing you want to do is to make the whole enterprise dependent on a single customer, who is subject to poilitical whims.
I'm certainly not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2011 10:46 pm 

jaro wrote:
Lindsay wrote:
Even our friendly very thermal CANDU seems to have quite a number of fast and epithermal neutrons also.

Yes, of course it has them Lindsay -- there is no other way to get from fast to thermal !

BUT the point is that in a CANDU lattice these epithermal neutrons spend their time in non-absorbing heavy water.
This can only be done in a reactor core lattice with fairly widely spaced fuel channels -- i.e. a heterogeneous reactor, with tendency towards bi-modal spectrum.

Good point, I had not previously appreciated that bimodal nature of the CANDU spectrum and the potential to push it further in that direction, I've seen precious few spectrum plots for CANDU's and it's very impressive. In words, a common remark is that the CANDU spectrum is so thermal that it can efficiently burn natural U which would not be possible for a LWR, so I was surprised to see the shape of the curve putting the two side by side. I think that I better appreciate now some of the possibilities of your bimodal heavy water moderated MSR concept.

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2013 12:19 am 

This topic opened suddenly and it struck me that U-233 can be produced in existing reactors and there is no problem except for reprocessing.
1. Indians are planning to breed U-233 by irradiating thorium in a fast reactor blanket.
2. Thorium has been bred by using thorium pins in a newly commissioned PHWR for power flattening.
3. It has been bred in the Shippingport PWR.
4. It can be bred in any reactor using core-blanket arrangement. Use LEU or MOX for driver pins and thorium pins as blanket. Rest irradiated thorium for 10xhalf life of Pa-233 and reprocess. If thorium is metallic, separate by electro-refining.