Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Dec 10, 2017 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2016 5:27 pm 

Ondrej Chvala's question, at the 46:15 mark of the video recording, asks whether Flibe Energy's two-fluid design is just a "resurrection" of the old MSBR design of ORNL, and if not, how is it different?
Unfortunately, all he got in reply was more MSR history.

Another thing I found poorly explained (or not at all) is how a two-fluid design is naturally safe -- when draining of the "blanket fluid" in a calandria-type core geometry is likely to have a positive reactivity effect.
This may seem like the ideal topic for discussion in a nuclear engineering venue & audience, but again, nothing.

Lastly, no-one asked about the issue of civilian use of HEU (pure U233), as seen by regulatory authorities and their governing NPT policies.
Very odd.
Regulations matter.

University of Tennessee Nuclear Engineering Colloquium

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2016 5:34 pm 

Jaro, you're such a pompous ass, has anyone ever told you that?

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2016 6:22 pm 

Substantive answers are always appreciated, thank you.

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2016 7:34 pm 

If you wanted substantive answers you would have asked for them about a year ago as you studied the EPRI report.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4616

You want to snark from the sidelines and be a pompous ass. I don't even know why you're on here.

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2017 11:52 pm 

Give up Jaro - you're outmatched.

Kirk seems to be the only mover & shaker (and educator) in the nuclear startup business who absolutely refuses to compromise on "sustainability". If you don't share that "faith", find another hobby.

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2017 4:14 am 

Mr. Sorensen, I enjoyed your presentation, especially the beginning and the end. In the beginning you gave a short "pep talk" about going to graduate school. I'm trying to do that right now, classes at the University of Iowa start next week. I don't know if I can fit a masters of engineering degree within the confines of my GI Bill funds but I do intend to take graduate level classes on thermodynamics, control theory, and power systems so that I can speak about nuclear power with the authority that comes with knowledge.

Near the end you teased about the possibility of a talk on the ability to start a LFTR with plutonium. From what I've read the ability to start LFTRs from plutonium lead me to believe it was not quite impossible but undesirable to the point that other options were much more preferable. Your comment leads me to believe you've found something new to solve this problem. I would love to listen to such a presentation.

Also, Mr. Sorensen and Prof. Siemer, I still intend to take your ideas and combine them with my own and present them to some people at the University of Iowa. I will of course give you both credit where it is due. The university offers programs on sustainability, urban and regional planning, wind energy, environmental concerns, where your ideas on nuclear power, carbon sequestration, and more should be of interest to many. I'll need to make the time to collect these ideas and put them in a form that will make people notice. However, life has a tendency to interfere with the best laid plans.