Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Feb 22, 2018 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Oct 18, 2017 8:46 pm 

More 'imprudent' evidence

Quote:
SCANA board members and senior managers failed to raise alarms as evidence arose that the construction of two new nuclear reactors was going off the rails. Instead, they continued to give themselves bonuses and pay increases even as late as 2016, according to a Post and Courier report. None of the nine current members of the SCANA board of directors has any practical experience or expertise in nuclear power plant construction or management, despite overseeing what was expected to be a more than $10 billion project that nearly doubled in cost and ran years behind schedule before being shut down this summer. That board enjoyed a 12 percent raise for 2016 — for a total of more than $2 million in cash and stock — even after an audit raised serious concerns about the viability of completing the nuclear project earlier that year. SCANA’s five most senior managers got a 7 percent raise.

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2017 2:48 pm 

Pushing risk off a cliff: how Westinghouse ended up in bankruptcy

Quote:
At a 2013 energy conference at the University of Pittsburgh, the then-head of risk management at Westinghouse, nailed it: “Half the players in the industry are usually suing each other one way or another. Within the consortium, sometimes we don’t share,” he said then. “Think about that. I’m the engineer, you’re the architect and the builder. And I’m holding my cards close to my chest because I know, at the end of the day, I know we’re gonna end up suing each other.”

Westinghouse sold an unfinished product, then the problems snowballed

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2017 2:05 am 

The US has 281 lawyers per 100,000 people, France has 33, Japan 7. I would imagine the lawyer to engineer ratio in China is also pretty low. http://www.tentmaker.org/Quotes/lawyers-per-capita.html

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2017 7:47 am 

Two identical nuclear projects, one in Georgia and one in South Carolina. Only one survived

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2017 8:44 am 

From the article:
Quote:
But Jacobs knew that a nuclear renaissance wouldn't happen unless Westinghouse built Vogtle on time and on budget.

I agree. Nuclear power cannot and will not become the CO2 free energy source we are looking for unless someone, somewhere, can prove that new nuclear power plants can be built on time and on budget. There's something of a catch-22 in this, we won't know how to build a reactor on time and budget until we learn how to NOT build a reactor on time and on budget. Someone is going to have to be the example of failure. Getting funding for a project where the chances of failure is high is always difficult, and the chances of failure won't go down until people try and fail. Success breeds success, so I wish that these projects succeed.

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2017 7:39 am 

Contractor wasted millions on unnecessary supplies for S.C.'s failed nuclear reactors

Here's why:

Quote:
Westinghouse made 15 cents on every dollar for materials, according to the original 2008 construction contract. The more it spent, the more it made. That didn't change until the Pennsylvania-based company agreed in 2016 to finish the nuclear reactors for a fixed price.

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2017 10:50 am 

The moment that helps explain how South Carolina lost its $9 billion nuclear power bet

Quote:
The deal was simple: SCE&G and its partner, Santee Cooper, would agree a final time to shovel more money into the new reactors at the V.C. Summer Nuclear Station north of Columbia. But if the budget kept spiraling out of control, it would be on their contractor, Westinghouse Electric Co., to swallow the extra costs.

The deal also had a downside, one the executives didn't mention: While Westinghouse had a venerable, century-long history in the power business, executives were worried it couldn't afford to cover the project's soaring costs.

If Westinghouse backed out or reneged, the whole project could go under — and electric customers around the state would be stuck with a multibillion-dollar bill for a plant that might never generate a watt of power.

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2017 12:18 pm 

Toshiba Seeks $5.4 Billion Cash Injection to Avoid Delisting

Quote:
Toshiba Corp. plans to sell shares to raise 600 billion yen ($5.4 billion) and will explore a divestment of its Westinghouse-related assets in a bid to avoid being removed from the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Selling its holding in and its claims against nuclear-power business Westinghouse will let Toshiba “significantly reduce” resources required to rehabilitate that unit, funds that can be focused on new businesses, the company said in a statement Sunday. With the cash from a successful share sale, Toshiba expects that the consolidated negative 750 billion yen on its balance sheet will be erased by the end of the fiscal year in March. Overseas firms, including Effissimo Capital Management PTE, are planning to make investments, it said.

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2017 5:03 pm 

Toshiba plans to sell US nuclear division Westinghouse and raise £4bn

Quote:
Toshiba has announced plans to sell Westinghouse, its bankrupt nuclear reactor business, in a move that could help rescue the stricken Moorside nuclear power plant project in Cumbria. The embattled Japanese conglomerate announced on Sunday that it would raise 600bn yen (£4bn) as it seeks to shore up cash to avoid being de-listed from the Tokyo Stock Exchange. The funds will be used to guarantee any claims against Westinghouse, the US nuclear reactor business, which was meant to build the reactor for the proposed plant in Cumbria but filed for bankruptcy earlier this year.

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2017 12:12 am 

Toshiba have to look after their corporate problems but nuclear power is important for the world. Fortunately there are others to carry the flag when North America and Western Europe are exhausted. So is Japan.

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2017 11:24 pm 

Toshiba wants to wash its hands of Westinghouse by the end of March

Quote:
This week, Toshiba said it wants to get rid of all of its Westinghouse ties by the end of March. That means finding someone interested in buying Westinghouse and assuming Toshiba’s claims against Westinghouse — the money it says it is owed by the U.S. firm now caught up in bankruptcy court.

Toshiba also said it wants to pay the nearly $6 billion that it promised to U.S. utilities involved in building Westinghouse AP1000 plants as soon as possible. It believes that paying that obligation in full will give it the right to seek reimbursement for that sum from Westinghouse — another asset Toshiba would seek to sell to a third party.

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2017 8:34 pm 

Reactor building has become an unprofitable business for many. Only China at home and Russians all over seem to be surviving. India keeps on trying at home.
It has joined road building as an infrastructure activity. Only governments can make it possible.

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2017 1:30 pm 

Toshiba has the patents on the alloys in the Allam Cycle one-tenth scale turbine being tested at the ExTex site in La Porte by Houston—as far as I know. If all goes well, and they get the 500 MWth production model selling, AND carbon oxidation energy producers can profitably use all the CO2 coming off, Toshiba needs to be free and clear of the solid-phase uranium water reactor businesses—perhaps.

I am marginally qualified to judge any of this—maybe. I write here in awe of the engineering talent on your forum, Kirk. Thanks to you and the more worthy for the invitation to comment and participate.

The first MSR to begin supplying power to the grid will change attitudes to the urgency of lawmakers to bump up the nuclear materials laws to allow for NPPs to use highly-enriched quantities of fissionable isotopes in molten salts. How can it be anything else? The LWR has had its time and MSR will show its superiority if put into operation—the Oak Ridge MSRE was an indisputable success. Dr. Weinberg's plan is as sound as it ever was. Partisan bickering is holding up the show. Get energy tech right, and it's then possible for a more robust economic growth to not have such an immense global environmental impact. To have more economic growth without grave environmental impact makes all the economies richer and grows global prosperity, that reduces the incentives to war.

Evidently, Terrestrial's IMSR is due to be licensed and built. That can't happen soon enough. But watch Toshiba's new turbine. North Dakota is planning on adding the Allam Cycle to their lignite energy operations I guess partnering with Minnesota. If it works, they want to frack the Bakken with the CO2—as far as I know. Fine for more oil.

Doing carbon right requires an immense amount of energy at the nuclear level. ITER may lead to this level of power eventually. But MSR tech is available NOW! It's the kind of make-up power that changes everything—especially carbon, that is a real bugger without question. Toshiba would agree. I've always liked Westinghouse. This item is discouraging on Vogtle 3 & 4 AP1000s:
In November 2017 the Georgia Public Service Commission requested additional documentation following concerns that design blueprints had not been approved by appropriately licensed engineers, which has legal implications. The commissioners are considering whether to cancel the project, and a decision is expected early 2018.

—James Arthur Baldwin, American novelist, essayist, playwright, poet, and social critic

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2017 2:54 am 

Allam cycle seems to be a clever combination of gas turbine and steam cycle. How do they deal with particle matter in case of coal? Sulphur is also a complication.
I am sure a similar combination can be worked out in case of high temperature reactors including fast reactors or molten salt reactors. Toshiba could deal in the ‘Rest of the plant’ after it gives up reactors.

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2017 9:39 am 

SCE&G workers face heckling, lose millions in savings after nuclear project fails

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next