Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Jun 19, 2018 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: LFTR and Iran?
PostPosted: Dec 28, 2015 10:38 pm 

Iran ships 25,000lb of low-enriched uranium to Russia as part of nuclear deal
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/d ... l#comments

25,000lbs = 11339kg
This figure is the figure I posted on page 7 eight months ago. The figures match.

Looks like Iran gets to keep their nature uranium.

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2016 10:07 pm 

Wilson wrote:
Iran ships 25,000lb of low-enriched uranium to Russia as part of nuclear deal
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/d ... l#comments

25,000lbs = 11339kg
This figure is the figure I posted on page 7 eight months ago. The figures match.

Looks like Iran gets to keep their nature uranium.

Yep, they keep their natural uranium and then...
Quote:
Tehran recently test-fired two ballistic missiles capable of carrying a nuclear warhead in breach of a UN security council resolution, in what some analysts say is part of a backlash aimed at showing a domestic audience that it has not caved in to the US.

I'm sure this is merely a test of their "civilian" space program. A test on their ability to launch weather satellites perhaps?

The powers that be in Tehran are testing their boundaries, seeing how much they can get away with before the powers that be in the P5+1 react. No doubt they know we will have a new POTUS in a matter of months. It will be interesting to see if they act out again after the election to test the limits again.

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2016 10:42 pm 

WaPo Gets Iran Missile Story Exactly Backwards

http://fair.org/home/wapo-gets-iran-mis ... backwards/

Please checkout the comments in the WaPo article also. 1300 comments. See what the most like comments state.
Thanks

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2016 5:15 pm 

Wilson wrote:
WaPo Gets Iran Missile Story Exactly Backwards

Just because the rockets they tested would be incapable of carrying a nuclear weapon does not make this a benign act. These missiles are still capable of carrying conventional weapons. It might be possible for them to carry biological or chemical weapons. Even if all they can carry is propaganda leaflets these missiles are weapons. Iran is a very hostile nation and we should do what we can to inhibit and discourage their ability to produce weapons.

Iran demonstrated further their aggression by how they treated US Navy sailors found in distress. I don't know how the USA and our allies should be handling Iran but how they are being treated now is not how we should be dealing with a nation that has effectively declared war upon us. We should not be opening trade with them, and allowing them to fund the building of more weapons they can use against us. I believe the answer lies somewhere between turning Iran into an economic island and using Iran as a testing ground to see if we can make sand glow in the dark.

As a US Army veteran I am livid on how Iran treated my brothers and sisters in arms. What also burns me is how our POTUS, the commander in chief of our military, thanked Iran for returning our sailors. Iran does not deserve gratitude, they deserve punishment. Don't get me wrong, Iran should have returned our sailors unharmed as they did. What they should not have done is humiliate them as they did, go through the documents on the vessel, or put any delay in their return.

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2016 11:32 pm 

I am not sure Iran is really in the wrong.
There is no dispute that the US Naval vessels concerned entered Iranian territorial waters.

At that point Iran is perfectly entitled to intern the crew and search the ships.
They were rapidly released after nothing more than a verbal apology from the commander of the vessels concerned.

How would you like it if an Iranian naval vessel accidentally strayed into US Territorial waters?

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2016 5:41 pm 

E Ireland wrote:
I am not sure Iran is really in the wrong.
There is no dispute that the US Naval vessels concerned entered Iranian territorial waters.

Yes, two US Navy vessels drifted into Iranian waters. One vessel had mechanical problems and the other was assisting.

E Ireland wrote:
At that point Iran is perfectly entitled to intern the crew and search the ships.

No, they we not entitled. International law requires that a vessel be allowed to transit peacefully through territorial waters if in distress. Since these vessels were late for a fueling stop with a US Coast Guard vessel it is quite likely they were out of fuel. Boarding a foreign military vessel without permission is a breach of international law. The Iranian government was informed of a search of the lost vessels and the US Coast Guard was requesting permission to enter their waters to search for them.

The timeline is not clear but I have to wonder when the Iranian navy knew that the vessel was incapable of fleeing, it is possible they searched for them on their own in an attempt to find them first and capture the crew.

E Ireland wrote:
They were rapidly released after nothing more than a verbal apology from the commander of the vessels concerned.

There was no apology. The captain of the vessel was coerced at gunpoint to apologize. The Iranians knew the vessel was unable to leave and that the US Coast Guard was perfectly able to assist in recovering the vessels and crew in short order. This encounter should not have lasted more than an hour or two, instead the vessels and crew were held for 15 or 16 hours. There was nothing "rapid" about their release.

Oh, and the Iranians took SIM cards from the satellite phones onboard the vessels. Was this an attempt to prevent them from calling for assistance and giving their location?

E Ireland wrote:
How would you like it if an Iranian naval vessel accidentally strayed into US Territorial waters?

I would not expect the US Coast Guard to take an Iranian vessel 50 miles to US territory when another Iranian vessel was only minutes away. I would not expect the US to take pictures of the crew on their knees, take property of any kind, hold them overnight, force them to apologize for drifting into US waters, or compel their female sailors to cover their faces. We saw Iran do this to US sailors.

I would also not expect the US President to congratulate the sailors for "stopping the enemy" and pin medals on them for their courage. I would not expect the US Navy Chief of Staff make a statement on how Iran should take this as a lesson to not enter our waters again. I would not expect to see a US Navy admiral go on TV and state how the Iranian sailors were found crying at their arrest and were only calmed after given food and blankets, and then continuing to call them cowards and weak. We saw Iranian officials do that over this incident.

I don't know all the details, or precisely on how international law works in this case, but I'm quite certain a US crew would not forcefully board an Iranian navy vessel for merely drifting into US waters. I wouldn't "like" Iranian vessels entering US waters unannounced but I also understand that things break and people can get lost out at sea.

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2016 10:49 am 

Quote: And more generally, this unauthorized trespass into Iranian territorial waters was continuously depicted as an act of Iranian aggression (contrast that with how the U.S. government suggested it would be in Turkey’s rights not only to intercept but to shoot down any Russian jet that even briefly traverses its airspace). Article 25 of the U.N. Convention of the Law of the Sea, titled “Rights of protection of the coastal State,” states that “the coastal State may take the necessary steps in its territorial sea to prevent passage which is not innocent.” End of Quote Please read further https://theintercept.com/2016/01/15/the ... s-version/

Quote:Senior Pentagon officials said the timeline contained limited new information because the Navy was reviewing the actions of the sailors, who could face stiff judicial and administrative punishment for the episode. The Navy does not want to prejudice the outcome of that inquiry by offering too many details, the officials said. End of Quote
For further reading http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/19/us/po ... ilors.html

Quote :U.S. Republican Senator John McCain said on Sunday he would subpoena 10 U.S. sailors to testify about their brief detention by Iran if the Obama administration does not provide the findings of an investigation into the incident by March 1. End of Quote
For further reading ; http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-i ... SKCN0VO01S

There are a lot of questions still unanswered of what happened here and we need to wait and hopefully the navy will give us more details once the inquiry is finished.
I will just say that it takes time to figure out if "passage is innocent or not in both cases, Russia/Turkey and USA/Iran. The first gave only 17 seconds to decide which ended up fatal, the second took 16 hours with no blood shed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8