Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Apr 19, 2018 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EPA Regulation review
PostPosted: May 14, 2017 10:28 am 

I wish I had seen and gotten to posting this earlier but hopefully it is still worthwhile to share and maybe some folks will find it worth submitting some comments to get them on the record.

The EPA is through tomorrow soliciting public comment on regulations to review. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/05/12/three-days-left-to-submit-suggestions-to-repeal-epa-regulations/

I threw in a hastily written comment on 40 CFR 192 that reads as follows. If anyone has suggestions for improving it, or wants to point out any way in which I'm off-base I'd appreciate it. I am basing this off some recollections of presentations I've watched.

Quote:
The regulations at 40 CFR 192 and possibly others related regarding thorium and uranium tailings should be reviewed and revised for several reasons. They have basically made rare earth mining and refinement in the U.S. impossible. Beyond an impact on jobs and business this raises vital infrastructure and national security concerns as we have to rely on foreign particularly Chinese supply chains (which don't follow these regulations anyway) to get many resources and do refinement that would be profitable do in the U.S. without them and which supply critical components of many advanced electronics and other technology including those used in weapons and defense systems. Many of the principles on which these regulations are based have increasingly been called into question by scientific data, such as the LNT hypothesis. Several organizations could probably provide better information and data regarding the potential for revising these restrictions in ways designed to foster investment and growth while still providing appropriate and reasonable protections to the environment and all Americans. You may wish to engage the Thorium Energy Alliance, Energy from Thorium Foundation, ThREE Consulting and others they might suggest in the further feedback and review.

Also of course there may be other notable regulations of which I'm unaware that are significantly burdensome to interests in thorium and rare earth development that may be worth pointing out.

I would imagine the more others submit comments referencing the same regulations, the more likely they are to get any attention, even if not immediately or through this commission/review process it may be good to have some reference to them in future regulatory reform efforts through other channels.

Thoughts and any suggestions for further or others future submissions?

PostPosted: May 16, 2017 9:08 am 

No reply?
The deadline for submission is May 15 . . .
Time expired.

—James Arthur Baldwin, American novelist, essayist, playwright, poet, and social critic