Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Oct 23, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Meltdown Risk?
PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 4:17 pm 

Well there is something else that I want to know. It's about the chemical interaction between air and water and the hot buffer salt.

Just consider two different buffer salt : FLiNaK (flinak eutectic) and KF-ZrF4

If I understand well there is no chemical interaction with air but these salts can react with water and form hydrogen fluoride and some oxides (Li2O, LiOH, Na2O, ...). Are these reactions a great problem ? (besides the toxicity of HF) Are they exothermal ? (I guess I need to search the reaction enthalpies)

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 4:25 pm 

Where are you going to get a lot of water from? There isn't any in the containment. Pretty hot in there too, and the containment itself is hot. Water boils away before it can get to the buffer salt.

The reactions are not of great consequence to an accident. During normal operation the salts are kept clean of oxygen and water.

There have been experiments with molten FLiNaK being injected into a pool of water. Nothing much happens, barely a whiff of steam.

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 4:49 pm 

Quote:
Where are you going to get a lot of water from? There isn't any in the containment.

I am just curious. I know there will be no water in normal situation. People are afraid by sodium cooled reactors and I saw many times that the promoters of MSRs said that the salts don't react violently with air and water (contrary to sodium). I just wanted to know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12