Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Oct 23, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Jan 06, 2014 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Nov 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Posts: 1957
Location: Montreal
DougC wrote:
There does seem to be a concerted effort going on to play up the risk that isn't supportable, I've seen some recent postings of stories about the #3 reactor going critical again. The steam that was supposedly the evidence for a newly critical melted core turned out to be from rainwater evaporating on contact with the still hot material.
Correct.


Attachments:
FD_U3_steaming_winter_2013-14.JPG
FD_U3_steaming_winter_2013-14.JPG [ 185.63 KiB | Viewed 2143 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 06, 2014 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Dec 29, 2011 10:14 am
Posts: 217
Since it is illegal to yell "Fire," when there is no fire, in a crowded auditorium, why is there not some liability for irresponsible reporters signaling the imminent, potentially lethal, threat from the F-D incident? Journalism should be subject to malpractice at some level of standard.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 2:38 am 
Offline

Joined: May 15, 2011 12:06 am
Posts: 225
Cyril R wrote:
It's hard to get unbiased (even unhysteric) sources for F-D emissions. Most "sources" just rant endlessly how we're all going to die from F-D and blatantly obvious nonsense. Here's TEPCOs estimate.

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-co ... _1870.html

1.8x 10e16Bq of Cs-134 and 137 and I-131 into the ocean. That's 0.018 EBq, adding 0.00013% to the natural potassium activity of the oceans. The I-131 is all gone, left is 0.05 EBq or so of Cs134 (half is decayed) and 137 (most still there), adding 0.0003% to the natural activity of the oceans.


Those figures are the same as what appeared in the scientific paper cited earlier by jaro. I wonder if they originated with TEPCO or the paper. In any case, they're good enough for me, but I'm afraid that TEPCO is discredited in the minds of the anti-nukes, so they may not be the best source for my presentation geared for the general public. But at least they have the figures right out front rather than buried in the text of a technical paper. I'm not sure which is worse for my purposes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 5:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Apr 19, 2008 1:06 am
Posts: 2234
I am happy that no one has died or fallen sick of radiation in Japan and none is likely to. My heart goes to people who were evacuated from their homes in panic and suffering. I wonder if anyone died of it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 5:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Jun 05, 2011 6:59 pm
Posts: 1337
Location: NoOPWA
rc1111 wrote:
Since it is illegal to yell "Fire," when there is no fire, in a crowded auditorium, why is there not some liability for irresponsible reporters signaling the imminent, potentially lethal, threat from the F-D incident? Journalism should be subject to malpractice at some level of standard.
We need to find a case where someone suicided due to "Fukushima" and sue the purveyors of the false info that drove him to it for wrongful death.

_________________
DRJ : Engineer - NAVSEA : (Retired)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 5:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Jun 05, 2011 6:59 pm
Posts: 1337
Location: NoOPWA
jagdish wrote:
I am happy that no one has died or fallen sick of radiation in Japan and none is likely to. My heart goes to people who were evacuated from their homes in panic and suffering. I wonder if anyone died of it?
About 1000 by last count I read.

_________________
DRJ : Engineer - NAVSEA : (Retired)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 7:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Oct 28, 2013 12:24 am
Posts: 256
I read some times that Fukushima is a lot worse than Chernobyl. In TEPCO may 2012 estimation, the amount of Cs137 released in atmosphere seems around 10 PBq so less than the 85 PBq of Chernobyl.

We should compare the amount of Cs137 deposed in the lands around someting like 50 km away from the powerplant in both cases. If anybody here knows a figure of the quantity of Cs137 deposed in lands around the powerplant ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010 9:12 pm
Posts: 136
Location: Cleveland, OH
The website http://www.hiroshimasyndrome.com provides sane updates at: http://www.hiroshimasyndrome.com/fukushima-accident-updates.html

Hat tip goes to Rod Adams at: http://atomicinsights.com which is how I learned of this news source.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 2:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sep 15, 2011 7:58 pm
Posts: 186
rc1111 wrote:
Since it is illegal to yell "Fire," when there is no fire, in a crowded auditorium, why is there not some liability for irresponsible reporters signaling the imminent, potentially lethal, threat from the F-D incident? Journalism should be subject to malpractice at some level of standard.

Are you asking for an actual legal answer? For the US: There is no chance of immediate (physical) harm, such as a panic in the streets or a riot. Nor does it run afoul of other exceptions, such as defamation. Thus it's protected speech.

Furthermore, this is a good thing. The Aesop of the European Enlightenment on free speech, which is seemingly alive only in the US nowadays, is that as a general rule, governmental censorship in the public space fails to promote the public good.

If you want to stop misinformation, foster a culture where people are free and encouraged to engage in critical discussion, where critical thinking is encouraged, and science is encouraged. Throw on a little bit of personal responsibility, and out comes truth. It is a very good thing that knowingly publishing flagrant materially false information is protected speech. It's good for truth. Also, I can imagine all kinds of "interesting" complaints by the religious if it were otherwise. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Oct 28, 2013 12:24 am
Posts: 256
Quote:


Thanks, I will see that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 10, 2014 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Oct 28, 2013 12:24 am
Posts: 256
Here we go again, this video becomes viral :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcQLxT49ZP0

This is a guy on a California beach with a geiger counter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 10, 2014 3:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Oct 28, 2013 12:24 am
Posts: 256
Here an explanation :

http://geigercounter.com/california-beach-radiation-fukushima/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 10, 2014 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Dec 01, 2006 7:23 pm
Posts: 138
fab wrote:
This is a guy on a California beach with a geiger counter.


Another debunking is at https://www.metabunk.org/threads/debunked-fukashima-radiation-reaches-west-coast.2898/ and other places. It is from Thorium and Radium. What I don't understand is why Th-232 is found with Ra-226. Th-232 decays into Ra-228 and Ra-224. Could this be NORM from the oil industry?

_________________
Paul Studier


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 10, 2014 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Jul 14, 2008 3:12 pm
Posts: 5058
pstudier wrote:
fab wrote:
This is a guy on a California beach with a geiger counter.


Another debunking is at https://www.metabunk.org/threads/debunked-fukashima-radiation-reaches-west-coast.2898/ and other places. It is from Thorium and Radium. What I don't understand is why Th-232 is found with Ra-226. Th-232 decays into Ra-228 and Ra-224. Could this be NORM from the oil industry?


Uranium is often found with thorium. This could be the case here too. U238 decays to Ra226.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Nov 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Posts: 1957
Location: Montreal
Cyril R wrote:
pstudier wrote:
fab wrote:
This is a guy on a California beach with a geiger counter.
Another debunking is at https://www.metabunk.org/threads/debunked-fukashima-radiation-reaches-west-coast.2898/ and other places. It is from Thorium and Radium. What I don't understand is why Th-232 is found with Ra-226. Th-232 decays into Ra-228 and Ra-224. Could this be NORM from the oil industry?
Uranium is often found with thorium. This could be the case here too. U238 decays to Ra226.


If anyone's interested, I pasted together the spectroscopy screen shots and made a more easily interpreted graphic out of them, here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=577070902372816&set=a.493867307359843.1073741828.493843777362196&type=1&relevant_count=1

Thanks to KitemanSA for joining the discussion !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group