Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Oct 23, 2017 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2015 3:06 pm 

@Kurt Sellner, I don't understand this:

Quote:
Such a power plant that had to do a completely cold start would fire up a diesel generator just to get the lights on. Then the large natural gas turbines would get started to get the electric heaters going to melt the salt for the first MSR. Once the first MSR is hot enough the "baby" turbine is run. After that there is enough heat and power to fire up the other nine MSRs on site, one or two at a time.

Why can't the power plant draw power from the grid during startup?

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2015 4:16 pm 

Dear Jim,

the material properties are indeed different depending on the manufacturing process.

In general arc casted materials have better corrosion properties compared to sintered ones. The surface of sintered pieces is more porous and hence has a larger surface to become attacked. Concerning the additive methods laser sintering is one method and as well laser melting. Ebm differs as it use electrons instad of photons.

The laser does not really penetrate the material and melts the surface only hence it has a layer structure. The mechanical properties are below the properties of casted material.

EBM penetrates deeper in the material. It melts a couple of layers and hence the material properties are according to the reports mentioned in my report about equal to arc casted material.

Please study the report attached to my first text.

PS: I actually rewrite my report about Mo-TZC alloys as structure material for the MCFR. I hope I will finish it in the next 2 - 3 month.