Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Dec 16, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2015 2:18 pm 

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/C-US- ... 01157.html

This clearly shows the nuclear advantage. $100 million for perhaps 19 years of fuel, 810 MWe.

That's got to be at least 100 million MWh.

$1/MWh??

Even if that is just the fuel fabrication it sounds too cheap.

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2015 4:13 pm 

I'm not businessman, but 34 years is a long time. There are a lot of things that can happen over that period of time. There may be periods of inflation. I guess you can have a 30 year mortgage so maybe the fuel isn't as different as I'd think. Well - Good for the rate payers. Once one of these nukes is built, it's a local resource.

It's a BWR. Maybe, Vermont Yankee could have got such a deal. They will be paying more in the long run for that region's electricity. Are the other big BWRs getting as good a deal?

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2015 6:04 pm 

2034, not 34 years. Its 2015 already! The future is today.

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2015 6:38 pm 

Cyril R wrote:
http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/C-US-reactor-secures-fuel-for-life-2701157.html

This clearly shows the nuclear advantage. $100 million for perhaps 19 years of fuel, 810 MWe.

That's got to be at least 100 million MWh.

$1/MWh??

Even if that is just the fuel fabrication it sounds too cheap.

That would be a true bargain. How much would the operator have to spend on fuel if this had been a 810MWe CCGT power plant and had purchased all the natural gas 19 years in advance ? That could be an eye opener for the executives in the utility business.

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2015 8:47 pm 

Oops! 2034-2015 = 19 year mortgage Sorry

"That could be an eye opener for the executives in the utility business."

How far ahead do American businessman (big boys) typically look? I've read that it is only 3 months. The use of gas is expanding due to the low price. Beyond the 3 month window, the price will go up. Maybe, in constant dollars (2015), nuclear fuel will have a more stable price.

The world is always changing too. Maybe some new form of energy is just beyond the horizon. Nuclear power is new. It wasn't around when my mom and dad were young.

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2015 4:46 pm 

Energy derivative trading is a freaking enormous business (!)

http://www.mercatusenergy.com/energy-hedging/

Technological advances that create enduring equilibrium in energy supply and demand are much to be desired.

Hate seeing profiteers get rich by gaming scarcity .. it's the absolute antithesis of "value add" .. this criticism is not aimed at companies with core business exposure to producing or purchasing energy .. it's aimed at the non-core market participants -- arbs, hedgies, tick pirates -- who aspire to corner markets, or otherwise game the system without regard to consequence other than personal gain.