Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Sep 21, 2018 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2014 11:41 pm 

Hi,
New member here but I want to give you my thoughts as someone who comes from a sales background.

I have watched every video I can find on Thorium and LFTR. I have read everything I can find as well. I have been researching it for over a year and know the basics of the technology as well as can be expected.

I have seen several times where the discussion of how to bring this information to the public has been discussed. What is needed is someone who thinks like a salesman instead of someone who thinks and talks like a scientist.

The saying in sales is "Sale the sizzle, not the steak." This means you push the benefits, not the features. Everything I have found is heavy on features and almost non existent on benefits.

An example is:

Thorium reactors cost magnitudes less to run than traditional reactors. (Feature)
Thorium reactors can be build in less time, which brings power to the masses much quicker and cheaper which drives cost of power down. (Benefit)

Thorium reactors burn 99% of their fuel. (Feature)
Thorium reactors have next to no left over fuel after burning which means virtually no waste byproducts that need expensive and dangerous disposal which may harm the environment. (Benefit)

There once was a car maker who actually had an entire sales pitch series of videos promoting the fact that the car had more cup holders than any other car made. This sales promotion was on of the most successful car promotions of all time.

If you want to bring Thorium technology to the average Joe on the street you need to discuss how the technology can benefit him personally.

Cleaner air, cheaper power, more jobs, less waste, these are the things that need to be pushed. If you save the in depth discussion of how the technology works for those already in the field and do some videos or talks on just the benefits you will see a huge spike in interest.

Just my thoughts and initial hello to the forum. :)

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2014 1:05 am 

agree. and i might suggest adding some attacks to the competitors. NO MORE CHINESE SOLAR PANELS. NO MORE BIRD KILLING WINDMILLS. NO MORE GOVERNMENT ETHANOL. NO MORE FRACKING RUINING GROUNDWATER.

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2014 1:56 am 

Welcome Johnny Slater!
Perhaps you should get together with Gordon McDowell on his latest LFTR video. You have probably seen his work if you have seen any of the LFTR YouTube videos.

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2014 4:33 pm 

In my opinion Kirk does an awesome job as public speaker, he manages to cover both the technical aspects as well as the socioeconomical benefits of LFTR technology. Then again, convincing the public is a politician's task. The way I look at it, you'd be better off recruiting as many people with a technical/science background to get involved. Gordon's videos definitely cover major parts of the basic technical and historic information regarding the MSR - it's not meant to be "propaganda" perse, but does supply all the information you'd need to convince people of its superiority.

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2014 7:17 pm 

"If you want to bring Thorium technology to the average Joe on the street you need to discuss how the technology can benefit him personally."

Excellent - Right out of the Dale Carnegie books. It is amazing how many people do not realize this simple truth.

I can visualize it. "Sir! Do you want cleaner air? Sir! Do you want less expensive electricity? Sir! Do you want your children to grow up ina cleaner, happier safer world? Then, let me tell you about Thorium!"

Technical people can be bought. People persons are what truly make this world go around. Edison would have gone no where if he hadn't known how to market his products. The Wizard of Menlo Park would have gone far with Thorium.