Established in September 2012, the Energy From Thorium Foundation (EFTF) is a US-based not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing the research, development and deployment of safe, clean and affordable energy based on Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor technology (LFTR) for improving the human condition in the United States and throughout the world. The Foundation operates out of Cleveland, Ohio USA.
Our core objective is to facilitate research, development and deployment of the Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor (LFTR, pronounced “Lifter”), a type of Molten Salt Reactor (MSR), first conceived, by Dr. Alvin Weinberg at Oak Ridge National Laboratories in Tennessee in the 1960s. Alvin’s research into Molten Salt Reactors established and proved the basic concepts of a LFTR. Our top priorities are to support the development of LFTRs and to make LFTR a household name as an inexpensive safe clean and abundant energy source to benefit the world for millennia.
Dr. Alvin M. Weinberg, Nuclear Physicist, Director Oak Ridge National Labs 1955-1973
We recognize that other promising advanced reactor design concepts exist and wish to see advancement on those design concepts as well. However we strongly believe that a focused effort will facilitate a quick path to regulatory reform and development. Moreover, we strongly believe that the LFTR class of reactor architectures represents the most promising of design classes:
Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors:
- Use cheap and abundant Thorium as the fuel source
- Cannot meltdown
- Produce no long-lived radioactive waste
- Produces ~3% of the “spent fuel” of traditional light water reactors. Most of which can be economically extracted and sold (e.g. Molybdenum-99)
- Can use our current inventory nuclear waste as a fuel source eliminating this waste.
We strongly believe in the role energy technology has played in the bettering the human condition throughout history. We believe LFTR technology represents the next quantum leap in energy technology. We believe free market principles and educational awareness will drive the commercialization of Thorium derived energy technologies, specifically LFTRs. We believe no government mandates will be required for its adoption. We believe in human ingenuity and seek to inform would be entrepreneurs of the awesome possibilities of this technology. We work with and are advised by some of the world’s most influential energy scientists, businessmen and policy-makers in seeking to cultivate the political courage to embrace the use of Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors.
Our activities include:
- Public education and outreach: We aim to increase public awareness of the benefits of thorium and Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors. We have given talks and presentations at many public events.
- Engaging US policy-makers: As part of our goal of placing thorium and molten salt reactors at the center of the energy debate, we have met many policy-makers to raise their awareness of the potential of thorium and LFTRs and provide them with briefing papers and presentations when asked.
- Engaging students, academics and other researchers: We believe it is vital to inspire the next generation of nuclear engineers and are working with universities and research institutes to raise their awareness of thorium and LFTRs.
- Engaging industry: As the focus of most of the world’s leading energy experts, the nuclear industry will be crucial to the research, development and deployment of thorium and LFTRs. We believe it is essential to discuss the industry’s existing constraints and strengths in order to spark a revival of industry-backed research into innovative nuclear energy systems.
- Providing information to the media: The Energy From Thorium Foundation is always able and willing to discuss thorium, molten salt reactors and LFTRs and other forms of innovative nuclear reactors with interested journalists. We are able to provide information, comment and analysis to the media.
“ The world desperately needs sustainable, affordable, and clean energy to raise the standard of living for everyone. Thorium fuelled reactors, such as the LFTR Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor (which is a Molten Salt Reactor) was technology pioneered by the late Alvin Weinberg. This technology could radically change negative perceptions of nuclear power leading to widespread deployment. ”
-Kirk Sorensen, former NASA Engineer, Chief Technology Officer of Flibe Energy, Board Member – Energy From Thorium Foundation.