Electric power froma small boiling reactor

Discussion about gas-turbine and other power conversion systems for halide reactors.
Steaphany

Electric power froma small boiling reactor

Post by Steaphany » Feb 27, 2013 1:05 pm

In my readings on small scale Aqueous boiling reactors, has there been any work in the area of electric power generation from such an energy source ? I know the heat can be used directly, but I haven't found much on electric power.
Steaphany

Want to have some fun ? Give a Geiger / Radiation Detector as a gift and tell them to play with it at home.
You will have a ball picking through everything which will soon be left at the curb as trash because it's Radioactive.

jagdish

Re: Electric power froma small boiling reactor

Post by jagdish » Feb 28, 2013 5:25 am

The used nuclear fuel has a decay energy which could be 6-7% of the fission energy of fuels in the reactors. I have, from time to time, raised the issue of using this heat for power via a boiling reactor or the RTG. I have had some interesting feedback about Stirling Cycle.

Lars

Re: Electric power froma small boiling reactor

Post by Lars » Mar 01, 2013 1:01 pm

jagdish wrote:The used nuclear fuel has a decay energy which could be 6-7% of the fission energy of fuels in the reactors. I have, from time to time, raised the issue of using this heat for power via a boiling reactor or the RTG. I have had some interesting feedback about Stirling Cycle.
The 6-7% heat output is only there for a short time. By the end of the first day after you take the fuel out of fission the power is down to 1%. In four months it is down to 0.1%. Still enough to require cooling but not a really a power source except for very specialized situations.