Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Aug 20, 2018 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 7:09 pm 

I don't think this is a worthwhile direction to say much more but the whole idea of CERN-sized particle accelerators, quarks, possibly Dark Matter and Energy are a long way from quantum mechanics as implemented in computers and most of our normal applications. In fact, we accept the incompleteness of general relativity, QM, and even fine details of the force laws and still use a lot of the information. Those pesky infinities and 10 to the 120th power inconsistencies remind us that we have a long way to go.

It is probably not obvious but particle accelerators have been all around us through the last half of the last century... in the form of TV's, oscilloscopes, displays, and countless things. They are woven into our lives today. Nature used them to electrocute our forefathers in lightening storms. Moving an electron from one potential to another is a particle accelerator. QM is a whole lot more, and QED a ton more. String theories and exotic dimensions are models and who knows what is real. All I know is I do not even want to try to explain a simple transistor without QM. I do know quite well why vacuum tubes don't work very effectively in iPhones.

This is fruitless so let's move on...

Last edited by rc1111 on Dec 28, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 8:43 pm 

Quote:
I don't think this is a worthwhile direction to say much more but the whole idea of CERN-sized particle accelerators, quarks, possibly Dark Matter and Energy are a long way from quantum mechanics as implemented in computers and most of our normal applications.

Very so now, todays computers and networks will be supplanted with the quantum compute and networks. If you want to program these new machines and trouble shoot these new networks, you will need to understand quantum mechanics in deep.

The future belongs to those who prepare for it. Don't be made redundant by the onrush of quantum technology.

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 9:23 pm 

No doubt the quantum internet and quantum entanglement coupled with the new quantum logic gates will change the computing landscape in time. It's happening in the lab right now. These are very hot areas of study. If you do not see the role of QM in this future (and the current "right now") then you have not really looked into how and why things work, and you certainly would not know how to advance the future.

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 9:42 pm 

This world will be saved by the person who make simple cheap nuclear FISSION reactors in an assembly line.

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 4:50 am 

Additionally you have to consider that CERN has done a great deal for fields other than particle physics with its experiments.

Someone once described LHC to me as an Engineering and Computer Science experiment just pretending to be a physics one.
They have the worlds largest and most powerful radiation hardened supercomputer and the largest assembly of superconducting magnets in history.

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 11:33 am 

NicholasJanssen wrote:
This world will be saved by the person who make simple cheap nuclear FISSION reactors in an assembly line.

There is a good chance that these new world saving advanced fission based reactors will be driven by quantum processes.

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 6:00 pm 

It was the quantum principles worked out by Bohr, Heisenberg, Wigner, Fermi and others that made nuclear power possible in the first place. And it wasn't long after the theoretical foundation was laid that practical technology began showing up. A more precise and comprehensive understanding of the quantum world is going to allow us to better refine reactor technology I think.

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 6:06 pm 

DougC wrote:
It was the quantum principles worked out by Bohr, Heisenberg, Wigner, Fermi and others that made nuclear power possible in the first place. And it wasn't long after the theoretical foundation was laid that practical technology began showing up. A more precise and comprehensive understanding of the quantum world is going to allow us to better refine reactor technology I think.

reactor technology from the 1990's is enough to power the world until all of mankind goes extinct

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 6:16 pm 

NicholasJanssen wrote:
reactor technology from the 1990's is enough to power the world until all of mankind goes extinct

There's economics as well as social pressures to consider, there's always going to be some sort of pressure to produce better designs, whether it's for higher degrees of safety and less waste produced or perhaps how to most efficiently produce the fission products that will be a major source of revenue from LFTRs.

It's too early to say with any real confidence what the nuclear marketplace is going to look like in 50 years, but I think we can count on theorists and engineers trying to get every advantage they can from the knowledge base.

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 9:04 pm 

Mankind must never go extinct.

The most important thing is the survival of humanity.

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 1:21 am 

E Ireland wrote:

Why? Humans are incredibly destructive creatures. I have no doubt given enough time, humans will find a way to ERASE all life on Earth..

The only way to save humanity is to move off earth before one mistake ruins all life as we know it.

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 4:38 pm 

E Ireland wrote:

As a humanist, I must disagree. If the only plausible scenario for continued human existence is one of constant pain and suffering, I believe a case can be made that it would be more moral to let the human race end rather than work for its continuation. As a humanist, the most important things are human happiness, safety, freedom, well-being, and the other values of humanism. Put another way, surely you agree that we should avoid the situation where everyone will suffer the worst possible as long as possible, right? Avoiding that outcome is the most important thing, and in some contrived scenarios the only possible escape may be human extinction.

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 4:58 pm 

How much of the current misery in the world is due to geopolitics and economics that grow out of a sadly outdated political, financial and energy models?

One of the big reasons I support nuclear power as the main option for global energy use is the stabilizing effect it would have systemwide. So much of the current competition and conflict that causes so much destructive behaviour worldwide could instead be refocused into areas that would extend our species in ways that are hard to predict right now.

Instead of constantly worrying about peak oil, unstable regions like the Middle East and the growing economic divides, as well as biosphere degradation, we could build a much more forward thinking global society that was actually sustainable. Things like actually colonizing the Moon and Mars could become practical when we stop focusing so closely on issues that largely rise out of the current models.

High tech is going to be the true wave of the future I think, and nuclear power can and should be at the forefront of that. What we do with the great new possibilities is up to us, the fact they exist as a very real option isn't in question.

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 8:27 pm 

@DougC
Seconded.

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 8:32 pm 

DougC wrote:
How much of the current misery in the world is due to geopolitics and economics that grow out of a sadly outdated political, financial and energy models?

One of the big reasons I support nuclear power as the main option for global energy use is the stabilizing effect it would have systemwide. So much of the current competition and conflict that causes so much destructive behaviour worldwide could instead be refocused into areas that would extend our species in ways that are hard to predict right now.

Instead of constantly worrying about peak oil, unstable regions like the Middle East and the growing economic divides, as well as biosphere degradation, we could build a much more forward thinking global society that was actually sustainable. Things like actually colonizing the Moon and Mars could become practical when we stop focusing so closely on issues that largely rise out of the current models.

High tech is going to be the true wave of the future I think, and nuclear power can and should be at the forefront of that. What we do with the great new possibilities is up to us, the fact they exist as a very real option isn't in question.

@DougC..
Thirded..

In fact I think you win the quote of the year on these forums.. capt kirk should put it on the main site as a news post...