CO2 from seawater

General discussion of thorium and nuclear energy.
jagdish
Posts: 2292
Joined: Apr 19, 2008 1:06 am

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by jagdish » Apr 08, 2014 8:33 am

Carbon dioxide is the lowest energy carbon. Any other form has more energy. That is why I suggest carbon fixed by nature using solar energy.
Any biomass can be converted to syngas with lower energy consumption. Hydrogen gas basically wants water and energy input. The Fischer-Tropsch process can create liquid fuels from syngas.
The plankton biomass is therefore the best carbon source in mid-ocean.

RKeyes
Posts: 70
Joined: Jul 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by RKeyes » Apr 08, 2014 12:30 pm

jagdish wrote:Carbon dioxide is the lowest energy carbon. Any other form has more energy. That is why I suggest carbon fixed by nature using solar energy.
Any biomass can be converted to syngas with lower energy consumption. Hydrogen gas basically wants water and energy input. The Fischer-Tropsch process can create liquid fuels from syngas.
The plankton biomass is therefore the best carbon source in mid-ocean.
Carbon dioxide has the advantage of being pure and predictable. Biomass is, of course, composed of a wide variety of complex chemicals in varying amounts. Chemical processes are easier and more efficient when there are pure feedstocks.

But if you want to fish for algae, I am not going to to to stop you, but rather wish you luck. If you want to farm algae in a bioreactor, I highly recommend Botryococcus braunii. See the wikipedia article on it, which I wrote most of.

cerebral
Posts: 73
Joined: Mar 22, 2014 2:34 pm
Location: Germany

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by cerebral » Apr 08, 2014 1:21 pm

If only 10% of the investment that is being undertaken for renewables would be applied to LIFTR technolgy.....
Its such a shame.
Once an industry is established things move like super viscous honey. Minds need a bit more temperature i guess to overcome
this sticky intersynaptical brain melt which wealth caused.

KitemanSA
Posts: 1336
Joined: Jun 05, 2011 6:59 pm
Location: NoOPWA

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by KitemanSA » Apr 08, 2014 5:45 pm

RKeyes wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:
NicholasJanssen wrote: MORONS CITE "SEAWATER UNAVAILABILITY"
Are you always this hateful?
Seawater unavailability does seem a bit absurd. Was the tide out? I think it's more likely that they didn't have an adequate supply of filtered, softened water when they needed it. I would hope that further refinements of this system address this supply issue.
This was a task from the Naval Research Lab which is on the Potomac, not the ocean. Whether this has anything to do with it...
DRJ : Engineer - NAVSEA : (Retired)

RKeyes
Posts: 70
Joined: Jul 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by RKeyes » Apr 08, 2014 8:46 pm

RKeyes wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:
NicholasJanssen wrote: MORONS CITE "SEAWATER UNAVAILABILITY" Are you always this hateful?
Seawater unavailability does seem a bit absurd. Was the tide out? I think it's more likely that they didn't have an adequate supply of filtered, softened water when they needed it. I would hope that further refinements of this system address this supply issue.
This was a task from the Naval Research Lab which is on the Potomac, not the ocean. Whether this has anything to do with it...
It repeatedly mentions that it was done in Key West, which of course is right on the water.

KitemanSA
Posts: 1336
Joined: Jun 05, 2011 6:59 pm
Location: NoOPWA

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by KitemanSA » Apr 09, 2014 12:38 am

RKeyes wrote:It repeatedly mentions that it was done in Key West, which of course is right on the water.
Actually, it says it used water OBTAINED from Key West. I didn't see anywhere that said it was DONE in KW. Please site page and location of statement about "IN" KW.
DRJ : Engineer - NAVSEA : (Retired)

pstudier
Posts: 143
Joined: Dec 01, 2006 7:23 pm

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by pstudier » Apr 09, 2014 5:14 pm

KitemanSA wrote:Actually, it says it used water OBTAINED from Key West. I didn't see anywhere that said it was DONE in KW. Please site page and location of statement about "IN" KW.
I am going to speculate that for some reason Key West Seawater was chosen as the standard experimental water for the sake of repeatability. Just like biologists who use standard strains of mice or bacteria for their experiments.
Paul Studier

RKeyes
Posts: 70
Joined: Jul 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by RKeyes » Apr 09, 2014 6:09 pm

pstudier wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:Actually, it says it used water OBTAINED from Key West. I didn't see anywhere that said it was DONE in KW. Please site page and location of statement about "IN" KW.
I am going to speculate that for some reason Key West Seawater was chosen as the standard experimental water for the sake of repeatability. Just like biologists who use standard strains of mice or bacteria for their experiments.
OK, now this makes sense.

KitemanSA
Posts: 1336
Joined: Jun 05, 2011 6:59 pm
Location: NoOPWA

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by KitemanSA » Apr 12, 2014 6:09 pm

RKeyes wrote:
pstudier wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:Actually, it says it used water OBTAINED from Key West. I didn't see anywhere that said it was DONE in KW. Please site page and location of statement about "IN" KW.
I am going to speculate that for some reason Key West Seawater was chosen as the standard experimental water for the sake of repeatability. Just like biologists who use standard strains of mice or bacteria for their experiments.
OK, now this makes sense.
I've noticed that the folk from NRL are sometimes inscrutable, but seldom stupid.

As to why Key West water, it is tropical and tropical tends to have the LEAST available dissolved gasses. If it works with KW water, it will probably work anywhere. Just a guess.
DRJ : Engineer - NAVSEA : (Retired)

User avatar
NicholasJanssen
Posts: 264
Joined: Mar 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by NicholasJanssen » Apr 12, 2014 9:12 pm

KitemanSA wrote:I've noticed that the folk from NRL are sometimes inscrutable, but seldom stupid.

As to why Key West water, it is tropical and tropical tends to have the LEAST available dissolved gasses. If it works with KW water, it will probably work anywhere. Just a guess.
HOW INCREDIBLY FORGIVING YOU ARE OF IDIOTS WHO ACTUALLY CITE "SEAWATER UNAVAILABILITY" IN A REPORT PREPARED FOR THE NAVY!

KitemanSA
Posts: 1336
Joined: Jun 05, 2011 6:59 pm
Location: NoOPWA

Re: CO2 from seawater

Post by KitemanSA » Apr 12, 2014 11:16 pm

NicholasJanssen wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:I've noticed that the folk from NRL are sometimes inscrutable, but seldom stupid.

As to why Key West water, it is tropical and tropical tends to have the LEAST available dissolved gasses. If it works with KW water, it will probably work anywhere. Just a guess.
HOW INCREDIBLY FORGIVING YOU ARE OF IDIOTS WHO ACTUALLY CITE "SEAWATER UNAVAILABILITY" IN A REPORT PREPARED FOR THE NAVY!
A classic example of "if you have nothing worth saying, SHOUT IT, maybe some one will mistake passion for reason"?
DRJ : Engineer - NAVSEA : (Retired)

Post Reply