build a copy of the ORNL MSR

Threads relating to the design of liquid-fluoride reactors.
edpell

build a copy of the ORNL MSR

Post by edpell » Apr 23, 2014 3:32 pm

If one has enough money and skilled people wouldn't it make sense to build a copy of the ORNL MSR as a learning vehicle? This would be in parallel with the new design effort.

I would guess two nuclear engineers, ten mechanical engineers and fifty support staff for six years would be enough. In China at $15,000/person/year that would be six million plus say ten million for materials and equipment for a total of sixteen million dollars. Well within the budget I would guess.

I would think the value of operational learning is worth the cost and it would feed enough value into the new design to be worthwhile.

Kirk Sorensen

Re: build a copy of the ORNL MSR

Post by Kirk Sorensen » Apr 23, 2014 3:37 pm

No. The MSRE answered the questions it was designed to answer. The next step would be a different design.

HolgerNarrog

Post by HolgerNarrog » Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm

The MSR of the 60ies is not the answer for today as the IBM370 is not an answer for todays IT requirements.

Fast reactors does not need a graphite moderator that filled 90% of the reactor vessel, require regular replacement and reduce the power density.

An integrated reprocessing unit gives a lot of complexity and challenges for the R&D.

From my point of view the first and mandatory step is to change public opinion and politics to get away from more and more regulations, certifications and documentation to make a nuclear power plant of whatever design competitive.

A step in direction of a MSR is the FHR concept. It reduces the challenges as internal fuel reprocessing and corrosion. It is a MSR light.

The reactor of the future is a large fast MSR.

jagdish

Post by jagdish » Apr 30, 2014 3:46 am

Who will bell the fast MSR cat? The Chinese are having a crash program of MSR. They could have it as one of the options.