Energy From Thorium Discussion Forum

It is currently Aug 20, 2018 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2012 1:56 pm 

The version of the explorer I had saved on November 21, 2010 starts UOX out at 1.1 days decay time and 86.05 kW/MTU. Burnup 39 GWd/MTU after 1000 days.

Today it starts out at the same 1.1 days (why not zero days?) and 192.54 kW/MTU, and I have been trying to find out what has changed. Could it be that the old version did not include gamma power as part of decay heat? That would be consistent with both versions' ending up, as they do, near 6 W/MTU at 30000 years.

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2017 10:33 pm 

If you'd like to run the "Spent Fuel Explorer" program on your computer, I can give you instructions assuming you're running on a Linux machine. I developed these instructions on my machine running Ubuntu 17.10.

First you will need to insure you have the Java Software Development Kit (SDK), which has both the ability to run Java programs (the Java Runtime Environment [JRE]) as well as the compiler. If you don't already have them, here's how to get them for free.

Using the "sudo" command (superuser-do), which will require your password, type these commands in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

At the end of this process you should have Java installed. You can check this by typing "javac" in the terminal. If a bunch of command suggestions come up, you're good. If the computer doesn't recognize the command then something went wrong. Once you've got Java up and running, you should then save this script to a directory of your creation:

http://www.flibe-energy.com/raspbi/install-java-snf.sh

then open a terminal in this directory (very important, make sure it's in the right directory) and change the file permissions to make this script executable:

Code:
chmod +x install-java-snf.sh

then run it by typing in the terminal

Code:
./install-java-snf.sh

it should download the JAR file containing the source code, extract it to standalone files, build the XML data files from the XSD schema files, compile the main program (SpentFuelExplorer.java), and run it.

This is what is inside the script and what it does:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#download the archive file SpentFuelExplorer.jar from the Flibe Energy website
wget http://www.flibe-energy.com/raspbi/SpentFuelExplorer.jar

#extract the individual files from the SpentFuelExplorer.jar archive file
jar -xf SpentFuelExplorer.jar

#build the Java classes that will contain XML data in a directory called "xmldata" according the XML schema files specified
xjc -p xmldata xsd/DepletionDataCase.xsd xsd/SpentFuelDecayData.xsd xsd/NuclideDataArray.xsd xsd/DesignStructureMatrixData.xsd

#compile SpentFuelExplorer.java, which in turn will trigger the compilation of all accessory classes
javac SpentFuelExplorer.java

#run the compiled class SpentFuel Explorer
java SpentFuelExplorer

If you'd like, you don't need the script at all and can simply type each of these commands in the terminal one at a time to achieve the same effect. You don't need any of the lines that start with #, they're just comments. Here's the essential commands you need:

Code:
wget http://www.flibe-energy.com/raspbi/SpentFuelExplorer.jar

jar -xf SpentFuelExplorer.jar

xjc -p xmldata xsd/DepletionDataCase.xsd xsd/SpentFuelDecayData.xsd xsd/NuclideDataArray.xsd xsd/DesignStructureMatrixData.xsd

javac SpentFuelExplorer.java

java SpentFuelExplorer

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2017 2:24 pm 

Great software! Java newbies likely get trapped by missing classes.

Attachments:
install-java-snf.sh.zip [674 Bytes]
Downloaded 75 times

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2017 6:27 pm 

Thank you, I corrected the script to include the corrections you identified!