No-blanket MCFR Isobreeder concept

Threads relating to the design of liquid-chloride, fast-spectrum reactors as well as fuel reprocessing.
jon

Re: No-blanket MCFR Isobreeder concept

Post by jon » Dec 06, 2015 9:19 pm

LUFF?

fab

Post by fab » Dec 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Forgive the ignorance, but why should we need a fast chloride breeder when a thermal spectrum fluoride MSR is so easier and well known ? Obviously, besides to achieve an uranium breeding cycle that is useless (and perhaps politically unacceptable), in my view, is we already had a thorium breeding cycle
I guess that the main advantage of the fast chloride breeder is the potentiality to breed with little fuel reprocessing.
The thermal LFTR needs online fuel reprocessing to breed (and so needs a online fuel reprocessing facility), a fast chloride breeder can maybe breed without online reprocessing, you just have to reprocess the fuel once in 30 years in a central facility.
an uranium breeding cycle that is useless (and perhaps politically unacceptable)
Actually it is the Thorium cycle which is not currently politically acceptable if I am not mistaken. (Personally I like both cycles)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA » Dec 07, 2015 4:10 pm

jon wrote:LUFF?
I refuse to call it Spent Nuclear Fuel (SNF) since it is ~97% UNspent fuel. So I have decided to call it Lightly Used Fission Fuel (LUFF).
DRJ : Engineer - NAVSEA : (Retired)