Cr-Mo-V-W: high-entropy metal alloy

Asteroza

Cr-Mo-V-W: high-entropy metal alloy

Post by Asteroza » Sep 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Potentially interesting high temperature alloy, part of the recently interesting high entropy metal alloy research thrust.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6218305359

nipo

Re: Cr-Mo-V-W: high-entropy metal alloy

Post by nipo » Sep 20, 2018 6:05 am

Could that be used in a fast breeder reactor?

I noticed also the high melting point.
Transuranic heavy elements may not be used where there is life.
– Sapphire & Steel intro

nipo

Post by nipo » Sep 20, 2018 7:08 am

Would that alloy resist corrosivity of molten lead, molten plutonium trichloride, and molten uranium trichloride?

The alloy is interesting even if it didn't.
– Sapphire & Steel intro

nipo

Post by nipo » Sep 22, 2018 8:57 am

It was one month ago when I read about high-entropy metal alloys. I got interested because I thought that perhaps it was possible to create an alloy that would withstand the high temperature and corrosion of a dual fluid reactor, and also be a good neutron reflector.

I reasoned that neutron absorption is the property most avoided when choosing a reflector material.

So I created a table which I just finished today. It shows elements and their most abundant isotopes. I excluded most elements as probably not useful, starting from noble gases, etc. Then there were also few elements that are very scarce, and I did not even have their cross sections, so I left them out too.

Anyway here is the table I created. The document is a one page PDF.

Color blue means that the element or isotope may be most interesting. It means high melting point temperature at least 2000 °C, or low neutron absorption (Pb-208, B-11 and C-12 being the least absorbing). Light grey means semi good properties, such as melting point at least 1400 °C, or quite average neutron absorption. Red is very common colour in the table, and it marks low melting point temperature (such as lead and sodium) and high absorption (such as B-10, which is an extreme case).
Attachments
Absorption_cross_sections_of_nuclei.pdf
Absorption cross sections of nuclei
(259.36 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
– Sapphire & Steel intro