Rare Earth metals finally recognized

rc1111

Rare Earth metals finally recognized

Post by rc1111 » Jul 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Rush to find gold rush-era discards that could fuel cellphones, TVs

Not the most technically astute article but an acknowledgement.

Ed P

Re: Rare Earth metals finally recognized

Post by Ed P » Jul 24, 2013 4:30 am

Yeah, they claim to be finding REEs from history, but don't bother to check the history of REE mining or current proposed REE mines. And, don't bother to compare REE concentrations in tailings vs REE mine concentrations. Or mention of the real reason why we don't mine REE's thorium/uranium in REE mining tailings, and didn't address whether the mine tailings were better or worse in that respect.

But, like you said congress finally maybe recognizes that we need to mine REEs even if they have no clue what that means. Maybe we will get some legislation finally to allow REE mining.

NicholasJanssen

Post by NicholasJanssen » Aug 14, 2013 1:16 am

The problem with Rare Earth metal mining is that there is no use for the massive amounts of thorium that the Rare Earth metals are found in.

If thorium was used actively, then Rare Earth metals mining would be much much cheaper.

Kirk Sorensen

Post by Kirk Sorensen » Apr 06, 2018 10:59 am

How China can win a trade war in 1 move
If proper production of rare earth metals is too expensive for private profit, then government should step in. Either subsidize domestic industry, or nationalize it through direct industrial policy. Lots of companies are hard at work trying to find alternatives to rare earth metals as well, and we could be pouring public investment into that research.